Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springs ... poly vs. rubber bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Apr 26, 2002.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I have just about got the front end tight. But, there is still some play in it. It is almost like it fades when I turn the wheel ... slow to respond when turning quickly, but when turning slowly it turns pretty good.

Is it possible that even though I've had the springs reworked ... there is still play here? Would the poly bushings reduce this 'fade'? How can I check this play? I have done everything I can think of up there ... brace, balls, ties, box, etc.

I was also told by the spring guy that by adding 'wedges' up front, I could reduce the wander at highway speed. Anyone know about this?
    Thanks,

Backlash

2. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

I could not find info on your truck. Did you fill out your profile? What size tires, axles, lift........ there are a lot of thing that could be factors.

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Kilroy,
    Thanks. I'm not sure where that info went. I have an 88 k-5 silverdo package, loaded with everything possible, but the quartz clock. Special ordered it new.

It is a stock application and only been off road on the beaches of Carolina. I've been through it all. Springs, steering box, most front end components, Brakes from pedal to linings front and rear. I am trying to think if the springs themselves will cause flex or if the bushings could cause some play.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Backlash

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You know, it sounds like the way allot of people describe their rigs feel when the steering sector is causing the frame to flex (or already cracked). Might check to make sure the frame is not cracked and add a brace. I haven't done it, but many people claim that it really helps the truck's responsiveness to steering input...

Shims (wedges as you called them) can be used to correct pinion angle, castor, etc. for non-stock springs and suspension changes. I doubt that is your problem but, I don't know anything about your truck.

Polly bushings are stiffer than rubber so they might help too. They will make the road vibration a bit more noticeable though.

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Russ,

Thanks for the reply. I often felt that the frame was cracked, I've looked and so have others. I do have a brace, which helped a lot ... I'm thinking there is something else in there.

It's actually fun to drive again, but still ain't right. I guess I'll work on some other stuff ... then play with it some more.

Backlash Bob