Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springs & Such

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGV72BLAZER, Feb 27, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    I plan on running a 63" spring on the rear of my Gen1. But on the front of my K5 i'm still debating. Any suggestions? I was learning towards a 52" swap, but may be considering a 56" swap. I have the rear 52" springs that were on my Blazer so I can use those for mock up purposes, but if i'm interested in using some 56" front springs, where could I find some cheap? What type of vehicle could I steal (JK) them from :D ? thanks.

2. RGV72BLAZER

oh & i forgot to mention. on the 63" springs, i've heard of variations. i have the 63"s with 4 leaves but have also heard of the ones with 8 or 9 leaves. which is better? thanks again.

3. fink

fink Registered Member

measuring the springs

I am under the impression to measure leaf springs is to hold the tape measure @ the center of the eye run down along the arch of the spring then back up to the other eye. Im considering the 52" swap & just measured everything this is what I came up w/. Mind you '71' k5 front springs measure 45" which makes sense Ive read their 2" shorter than 2nd gen. The rear measurd 55-1/2" which I assume are 56".To cap things if my measuring is the right way to measure than your rear springs are 56" and you can use them to mock up your front. Let me know if Im wacked.

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

first you measure them un-sprung. Second you measure them from center to center in a strait line, don't follow the arc of the spring. You should get 44" front of our year blazer and 52" rear of any year blazer.

5. fink

fink Registered Member

Ok. so eye to eye unsprung is how to measure spring length. When you set up for a longer spring say 50"(custom length) you want to have your top mount shackle hole (center) & your front spring bolt (center) measure same length as spring? Back to original post on the 63" spring, I think the more leaves makes for a softer rate (flexier) spring.

6. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

:confused: :confused: :confused: I have always been told to measure them from eye to eye along the main leaf. Un-sprung in a straightline will give you a drastically shorter measurement.

7. RGV72BLAZER

so then what's the correct way to measure the springs then?

8. fink

fink Registered Member

yeah what he said:crazy:

9. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

10. RGV72BLAZER