Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1970Jimmy, May 31, 2002.

1. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

I have a bad case of saggy springs. I have the leaves from a set of stock rear springs from a mid 70's full size and was wondering if I could simply add these to my spring pack?? Has anyone tried this and how did it affect the ride and ride height?
    Thanks

2. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

Another question? How do you measure the length of the springs? Is it the horizontal distance between hangers or the actual length of the arc that the springs make?
    Thanks...

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Measure from spring eye to spring eye along the top leaf of the pack. That other set may just bolt in.

4. I added some leaves to my rear springs for two purposes, 1 to repace a broken leaf and secondly to gain a little more weight capacity for hauling stuff. I put in I think leaves that measured about 2" thick at the center bolt location and that netted right at 3 1/2" of extra lift. Really helped my load capacity but it is definitely rougher now. My truck isn't a flexy truck to begin with and this of course would not help that situation at all.