Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryder, Dec 15, 2002.

1. ryder

ryder Registered Member

I am curious about the different springs that gm used through the years on there blazers and jimmy's. I have reacently bought my fathers 73 jimmy. He replaced it with a 91 k5. The 73 rides as if it were spung on square stock and the 91 rides in comparison as if it were a cadillac. The 73's springs are all stock and have been re-arched twice. The front is sitting on two springs which can't produce that progressive of an action... can it? I have seen other stock trucks with three springs in each pack. To make a long story short what I am after is a ride height two to three inches higher than where she is at now, and most importantly I want a nice soft ride. I have a 3/4 ton dodge for the days that I feel stiff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The 91 of my fathers also sits about an inch and a half higher than the 73 due I am sure to sagging, but any recomandations on factory springs or aftermarket would be greatly appreciated. here is picture of the 73.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/57663123zzpWkL

2. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

im not to familar with kits for 73's as i have a 91 K5. However, my friend put a 6" procomp on his with blocks in the rear and i put a 6" superlift with 6.5" springs in the rear. My ride is a lot smoother than his. I think this is mainly because the front springs on the procomp pack have 6 leafs while the superlift pack has 5 leafs. One thing i was gonna do to mine but couldnt because of a fault shackle. Was put 1.5 inch shackle lift in the front and take a leaf off the bottom of the front leaf pack and that would definitely soften up the ride and give you more flex. The 1.5" shackle lift doesnt give you 1.5" inches of lift i forget exactly how much it gives you but in my case my truck would of sat level at 6" of lift when all was said and done. That is the only input i have. Also if your springs are already sagging dont put a block in the rear goes springs all around youll be much happier. My friends sat unlevel because the rear springs were sagging and the 6 inch springs in the front were putting his front end significantly higher than the rear.
    Sorry for the long explanation /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Springs in the 70's were bricks.
    My 75 rides on 86 rear spring with a shackle flip. I added 2 leafs from the original pack to bring up the spring rate. It was WAY to soft for towing. My fronts are 2.5 inch rancho and they are stiff but it still rides better than my wifes stock 79.
    Go for a 4 inch lift and use the EZ rides for the front. they have the softest rate and with a shackle flip and newer springs in the rear it will ride like a caddie.
    www.offroaddesign.com Tell Stephan that Grim sent you.
    If you join CK5, ORD gives discounts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif