Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sprinkler system draindown for winter - anyone know how?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbinOR, Nov 13, 2003.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My system has a main in that has a valve to shut off the water but the system still is full of water (freeze/crack potential). Just past the shutoff is a male air fitting, so it looks like I should be able to hook up a compressed air line and 'blow the air out'. However, after hooking up air............nothing happens.

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you must have a valve in the line you need to open at min the heads should pop up

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would agree. If the system is electronically controlled, which most are, just cycle it through all your zones with the compressed air hooked up and the water turned off. The heads should then pop up by zone and you're golden when all the water has finished coming out.

This is most likely your problem. Gotta actuate those electric valves. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope it helps,
    John

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yup do what John says that would definetely do the trick

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All my sprinkler valves have manual override levers. Flip the lever and it activates that zone.

Also, for a spring project, you should take a look at the automatic drains at Home Depot. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Put one in the lowest section of each zone and the water will drain out by itself. They're like $2 each. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif