Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sputtering / dying on gentle acceleration ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by furdaddy, Apr 1, 2004.

1. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

My '74 K5 has developed a new problem. During even gentle acceleration, the engine sputters and acts like it wants to die. In fact, it actually did die several times. I assume this is a fuel delivery issue, but I'm not sure where. It got alot worse after we took it 4 wheeling for the first time last weekend. It hasn't bee wheeled in years. Do you think bouncing it around could have dislodged a bunch of garbage in the fuel tank and clogged up the works?

It almost feels like there's a "dead spot" in the throttle and when the pedal hits that spot, the fuel doesn't go.

Any ideas on where to begin trouble shooting? Fuel pump? Fuel line? Fuel filter?

Thanks for helping a newbie, CK5 rules!

2. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

Have you looked down the throat of your carb ,opened the throttle and seen if your accelorator pumps squirts gas?.Sounds like carb rebuild time.excuse my spelling.Jon

3. furdaddy

furdaddy Registered Member

Yep, they squirt. And the truck runs fine at idle, cruise and decceleration. It's just during acceleration that it has problems.

Still, you may be right about the carb, since the choke doesn't work anyway.