Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sputtering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Sep 30, 2006.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

:(
    ok it wasnt running great but it got me to work for the last 2 weeks. seems to sputter alot. I went out and had a look one night and saw alot of sparks near the wires so i figured i'd replace them. today after replacing the plug wires i started her up and saw alot of black gassy smelling smoke from the exhaust.check engine light came on...seemed to rev better....but still sputtery. drove it up the street a few miles with the same results...sputtery but reved better. CEL still on(it hasnt been on continuos til now)

so where to go from here? does the battery need disconnecting to reset the computer so it can relearn how the engine runs in this better state?

should i look elsewhere for better results?

any feedback is good feedback;)

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can remove the ECM fuse for 10 seconds, that will purge the code(s), but with the symptoms you describe, it's unlikely to fix the problem.

Might be a good idea to check the codes with the paperclip trick (search should result in how to) before you unplug the fuse just to see what WAS being shown as a problem, but if the issue exists after the ECM fuse is pulled, check the code(s) again.

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Got a map sensor voltage high .(low vacuum) i assume i knocked off a vacuum line?

code 33:eek1:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Could very well be. Leaky vac line or something too.

Good visual inspection (again :)) might result in seeing whats wrong.