Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spy Photo's - 100% Bolt On Shackle Flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Mar 1, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Spy Photo\'s - 100% Bolt On Shackle Flip

Ok, so its not really spy if its my truck.. right? Anyway, I've been beeting on them for a few days and so far so good. They install with a single socket wrench and a cresent wrench to hold the nut, with no cutting or grinding or chiseling of anything. The ride is softer than the previous cut through the hanger flip but other than the possible clearance of the cut hanger I'm not sure why... I'm taking these out to the anual Tierra Del Sol in sothern cali this weekend for their Debut run and we'll see how they hold up under some good abuse. So, with no more delay...

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/32306643rlQiwH> 100% Bolt On Shackle Flip</a>

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Re: Spy Photo\'s - 100% Bolt On Shackle Flip

I like them,cool man nice job !!!!!!!!!!!

3. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

Those are slick. Almost to simple. Very nice job.
    Later Ed

I'm not tail gating. I'm DRAFTING.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Great run out at TDS and much more flex now. The ride was much softer on the washboards but had about the same amount of rear end buck on the whoops. I ended up hanging the rear axle on my shocks most of the time though when I was fully crossed up. The brackets held up great and thanks to the flat plate which runs underneath the stock hanger (inside to outside, pics make it look like a shackle to the shackle but its not.) it didn't shift a bit. So, if you've got blocks on your truck with a set of slightly sagged stock springs you might give this a try and see if it works for you, eliminate the blocks and axle wrap a bit as well as take advantage of a compression style setup. Good luck and happy fabricating.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Not bad Thanks for the Idea /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    when I get 4in springs that mite be the way to go in the back.

Eric

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

That is pretty darn cool.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So how much did it lift it? The shackel fliped will give 4" and it looks as though the upper shackel eye is about 3" lower than the original mounting hole. Also it looks like it's tilted pretty far forward.

8. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

VERY NICE!! I also like the bad ass small block, very nice, dont mean to change the post but how hard was it to change the bell housing and did it crack from to many ponies? Just curious because I might need to do this as well! THX Mike

9. Re: Spy Photo\'s - 100% Bolt On Shackle Flip

yeah, looks to me like it's about 3 inches lower then a regular flip so that would give you another 1 1/2" at the rear axle. so 5 1/2 inch lift. a guy could also make that bracket so the shackle mount eye is farther forward for a better shackle angle. very cool though. he should sell them.....

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The total lift is about 5 1/2 inches. With the stock sagging springs it sits at about 4 1/4 inches of lift. The shackle hangs straight down and forward just a slight bit (my bad!). It would have more drop if I angled the shackle back a bit instead, this was more a proof of concept. I'm working on a 1/4 eliptical setup but it will require me to chissel the bolts of the stock hangers so I wanted to mock this up. If the 1/4 eliptical's don't work out like I think then I will make a new set of these with a few changes like the position of the shackle and the angle the mount sits to the hanger.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mike, I'm still a little unclear how the bell broke, I assume it was from a combination of flex at the crossmember and/or the driveshaft bottoming out durring compression. As for the Ultra Bell, it was a fairly easy install, the hardest part is just getting the old bell cut off cleanly. They only recommend an 11 inch converter or smaller (which is good for dragsters) so you might have some clearance issues there. I did a bit of creative grinding inside the bell and built a 1/16 inch spacer plate which sits between the tranny and the new bell to completely clear my TCI low stall 4x4 converter. My stock one rubbed a little worse. Other than that, I love it. Iif you decide to go that route, let me know.

12. twenty_below0

Well I shall see here in about 6 weeks, the small block I'm building should be at about 420 h.p. and 450 ft. lbs. torque so with good mounts and a strap to the frame I hope I wont have to worry about it, but if I do you'll be the first I talk with, so what kind of numbers are you showing with yours.....I bet it's a torque monster

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually, it's pretty corked up still. I had to make it smog before I could finish it with the good stuff. Tested as a 350ci and still passed(whew). I figure I'm around 370 lbft torque / 240 hp @ 4000 rpm with the stock intake / exhaust and the ported stock small valve heads. Now that I'm smog exempt I can drop on an air gap dual plane / thorley tri y's and a set of performer heads to kick me up around 470 lbft torque / 400 hp @ 5000 rpm give or take. I'm could acheive much more with a steeper cam but not whithout sacrificing my low rpm power. Having it low means I can run RV style equipment for streangth and heat management as well as fuel economy. All corked up I ran 100 miles out to TDS, ran 4 hours out 4x4'n and another 100 miles home on about 3/4 of a tank, mostly because the 1st 1/2 inch of gas pedal travel moves me at freeway speed. What about yours, stroker? I strapped my 327 in my Camaro to the frame to keep from breaking motor mounts.. I relate. In fact heres the strap at the bottom of the pic...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/32252778/32252848tUqjSi

14. twenty_below0

I'm running a 350 , .040 over, KB pistons, Crower H rods 3.500 Lunati crank,wieght lessend, splayed caps,balanced&amp; printed,Crane cam 216,226 @.050" with a lift of 482,512, with the 1.6 roller rockers and a set of Dart pro 1 heads, windage tray, crank scraper etc. Q-jet, performer intake,Petronix ignition, block is smothed, 0 deck height,and a set of gapless rings, I will be running a 1800 stall, as for h.p numbers the guys a speedomotive have helped me a lot and gave me some what to expect numbers,Dont have a desk top dyno or I would try it and see what it said,Alot of people would wonder why all this, I love my K5, and the more power the better. what do you think I will get out of it?

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Geez, what about pinion angle? Do you have a C/V rear or do you have 5-6 degrees of shim under the springs?

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Cool...!! I like it when people think a little "outside the lines"...

Good job!

Marv

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

No CV yet and no vibes with the driveshaft reversed (compression at the axle side, vibed bad the other way- go fig). I just shortened my driveshaft last night in prep to bounce the truck a little bit today, see how it feels when its stressed. I really like how having the springs angle back absorb the washboard roads, it really glides over the bumps. I'm prepping all the suspension for a CV (almost ready Jesse!) once I get my 14b dropped in.

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, it still doesn't flex like yours Marv!!! I still think you've made the best use of the stock hanger that I've seen to date. I like your fun buggy progress too! Say, have you played around with any eliptical setups before? I'm draggin my heals on this mostly to error on the side of caution with how I'm designing mine. At rest, I'm letting the rear lower leaf push the upper 1/2 leaf to seat against a plate above it which could be used to lock it in place with quick disconnects (street driving and such). When its disconnected it can drop a good ways down, well actually a lot. My concern is with how much tension I should have suspension wise on the wheel with it fully dropped in order to maintain usable traction and limit wheel hop on the rocks. I was thinking of teathering the rear end to only drop so far, or preload the upper spring for the same effect.. any thoughs? It seams to me that the shocks should control it to an extent but... ?

19. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Pretty slick.

20. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The FunBuggy will be my first experience with a 1/4 elliptic setup..... so I don't know the answer to all the handling ?'s - but I hope to find out soon!

You talkin' about stickin' a 1/4 setup under the Blazer?!? Wow!...

Marv