Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spy photos of the UAV

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Mar 5, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just got the UAV back from Avalanche, had them finish the rockers (3x3 1/4" with 1-1/4 tube) and they built a sweet rear rap around bumper, the pics are real crappy as the metal is unpainted and in my garage but also make it kind of mysterious. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Also notice the cut out rear fender wells, hmm maybe bigger tires in the future? Also had them adjust the hi-steer and we flexed it out today with no contact, had them fab up a ram mount as well, you will have to wait to see that though, to much crap in my garage in front of the UAV.

http://coloradok5.com/temp/uavbumper.jpg
    http://coloradok5.com/temp/uavnerfs.jpg

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever told you the bottom of your doors don't quite line up? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Pete

3. CK5

You know, in the eight years that I have had it they have always been like that, I think I will just take them off and throw them away.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

LMAO that was funny can't see them very well on my monitor but from what I can see it looks good steve

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looking good Steve. Hard to believe how much the UAV has changed over the past year./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

man that's a sweet rear bumper. What size tube is that? Any way to get a good solid pic of the underside/mounting points of the bumper? Yeah, yeah I'm pirating ideas...again.

btw, didn't you have square tubing rockers???

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, I need some more information on the trimming you did to that fender. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (did that smiley work?)

Thanks
    Ken H.

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Ok Steve
    Very nice, How do the new side bars mount up and what happend to the old ones? If you still have the old ones do they need a good home?
    You'll have to post somemore pic's of the hole rear bumper.

Eric

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I like the rear bump.
    Those sliders look kinda familiar /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Cool work man.
    Boss

10. CK5

I will get better pics tonight, just ran out of time, as many of you know I have two full time jobs and a family, so with EJS just a few weeks away and orders to fill, server issues etc.. I said screw it and droped off the UAV at Avalanche Engineering and had them finish or at least start a few projects for me. They welded in 3x3 1/4" for rockers then welded what looks like 1-1/4" (didn't really have the time to even look at it much) nerfs from there, I also had them trim, or should I say cut the rear quarters out and fab me a real sweet rap around bumper to protect the rear. I also had them adjust my hi-steer and weld in a bracket for my hydro assist ram, I think thats it, it was expensive but they do great work and helped me get caught up a little.
    I wish I had the time to do it myself but those days are gone. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    I have room for 39.5's no problem now, at least the rear anyway, whats funny is the rear is at about the same height as the front because GM made the rear opening not as tall as the front, plus I never liked that square opening for a round tire thing.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool Man!! I look forward to seeing more pics of the underside!! I wana see how your 3x3s are mounted. I am doing the same thing! I have been practicing my welding/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif and I still ain't that good at it but I can get the weld to penitrate so my next step is to fab some hangers or mounting plates/brackets! Hmmmm I think I need a tube bender now/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif!!! Pls let us know when the pics are up and please get some shots of the mounting points/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. CK5

I will back it out of the garage and take a few snaps, I need to do that before I pull the steering box and get going on the hydro asist. The 3x3 is welded in place, I need to fill in on the top part to make it look pretty, but no time for pretty with EJS a few weeks away, man is it early this year. No mounting brackets as it is welded to the body and is now part of the body.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I know my underside is a bit different cuz I have rocker boxes so I need to add some kind of bracket to the 3x3 to weld them to the boxes/body. Now that I can sort of weld I'm just in need of a few ideas and then time to BURN!!!
    Thanks

14. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

no rockers..... good idea and looks good!!!!

15. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

when testing the flex, did you do the rear to see if the bumper wraparounds will make body contact?
    My stock bumber has left nice gouges in the rear with a 2.5" lift an 33's.
    Just wondering.

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Steve,

When you get some time, take some more pics. I want to see what they did under the truck. I am thinking about doing this too. Too bad your doors dont line up or you would have a cool rig. Looks like you got sawzall happy on the rear fenders as well. Lets see more!

17. CK5

The pics are crap, the wrap around part is a good 1-1/2 from the sheet metal, I will measure to see what it is for sure, after I take pics during the daylight you will get a better idea, I should have no problem, also you can kind of see that the body is notched a little to allow the side support brace room to flex.

18. CK5

The doors have never lined up and I don't even care about stuff like that anymore, when you take something as wide as a K5 and get it twisted up all the time nothing lines up like it used to. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I think Shawns K5 is the only Blazer I have ever seen where everything lines up like new.

19. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Of course Shawns rig lines up, he never leaves the Garage! Just kidding Shawn.

You should see my tub, the quarter panels are coming loose in the door jambs. Sawzall Time! Im going to bob the rear this summer.

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

BigJBear just did a simular rocker set up on his 74. It's tricky but can be done. Maybe he will get us a few pictures up for those of use with rocker boxes. My 75 no longer has rocker boxes but I had no floor and the boxes were rusted out. I built a subframe to replace the boxes so mine is a little out there.