Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Spying

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobalob, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Instead of hearing how awesome the Iraqi elections went (some good news for a change) I have been bombarded with this New York Times revelation that Bush is spying on us. Now is there really anyone out there regardless of political affiliation that did not assume the government charged with protecting us would monitor phone calls and e-mails to other countries by suspicious terrorist types, or thinks they should not do this:confused: . I do not like Big Brother government but this hardly seems comparable in light of 9/11 and the countries around the world experiencing a rash of home grown terrorism. The whole thing does not seem very secret or maniacal to me, so what is pushing this non-story forward. :mad:

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

One acronym: the ACLU that's who. ACLU went extremist-liberal a long time ago.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Hillary

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

First clue New York Times.

Need I say more?

One of the most liberal news medias in the country, working off of their own agenda. Hilary '08.

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

They hate you and your truck(s) too.:mad:

6. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Obviously i am aware of the NYT liberal stance and the way the rest of the mainstream media glommed onto the story is not all that suprising but the response in Washington is disapointing with all this ridiculous crap about spending all this time and (our)money convening special panels, prosecutors, investigations, blah blah blah. Of course the Dems have made it clear that they have no problem with losing a war (shoot, their leadership tells us everyday we can't win(Dean), military is broken and living hand to mouth(Murtha), and our soldiers are terrorizing Iraqi women and children in the dead of night(Kerry)) and in fact their entire political strategy for regaining power is bad things happen to our country mean good things for Dems in 06 and 08:eek1: . So why are the Republicans following their lead in demanding answers to spying allegations. :(

Oh well even if they did pass McCains Al Queda bill of rights at least we are going to drill in ANWR wastelands:doah: (not much of a trade off).:mad:

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The moderate Reps will follow the lead, which is OK. Can't leave it unanswered or screaming just gets louder. D.C. is one big Hi-wire act.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Actually ANWR drilling was removed from the budget... it may get put back in there... but its currently in limbo (again).

As far as the spying thing... have to agree with the first poster. Before this story "broke"... was there a single person in the country who actually thought we didn't spy on people after 9-11? Please. If there are any, they either weren't thinking about it or they were morons. I'm sure if your name was Ahmed Abu Aziz or something, and you recently came from Afghanistan by way of Syria along with 5 of your male Muslim brothers to NYC, your phone conversation got listened in on... your email read. Freakin deal with it. Funny thing is, idiot senators/house critters seem much more offended than any civilians who might have been spied on do. I wonder if any of these liberal clowns actually think that Roosevelt didn't do similar things during WWII looking for German "saboteurs" (sp I'm sure, I see not being able to spell words with a french origin as a badge of honor).

j

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Exactamundo, hardwire, wireless and net are all wide-open public. Actually, tapping that stuff for criminal activity is an obsolete method, it won't get the kingpins. That's why there's renewed interest in HUMINT (human intell).

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Because the rights of the citizens of this country are very important. The administration can lay out the specifics of the program, but a lot of people are going to want people on the outside to look at the program to make sure everything is on the up and up..................

11. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

I understand and agree (trusting the government and not limiting there powers is a mistake) but how do you balance national security with a some what transparent government and the absolute need to abide by the constitution. I guess what really bothers me is various politicians running in front of the cameras to denounce this as if they knew nothing about it(yeah right:rolleyes: ). I am constantly amazed at what glib, two faced liars politicians of any affiliation can be:eek1: . And is it really a necessary evil like we were told during the Charismatic Clinton( read Great Liar) years by the fawning press?

I just know that when I lie and I know the other person knows i am lying I turn red and stutter because I am ashamed and embarassed. :o

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I think it's all horsesh*t. I don't care if they spy on terrorists, it's a hell of a lot better than the Clinton admin. spying on and gathering records of lawful gun buyers and members of any political org. they didn't agree with. They like to talk about Bush bringing on the Big Brother 1984 society, that all happened long ago. At least he hasn't sent the ATF of FBI to raid homes of citizens, especially not resulting in multiple deaths like old Bill and Janet Reno did. Liberals are great at defending your rights, as long as they agree with those rights.

My view is that as long as they obey procedure (which at this point there is a question as to whether they did) on using FISA warrants and courts, then there is no problem. I also disagree with applying our rights to non-citizens of this country, whether they are here or not. If you are not a citizen, you should have no protection afforded by the Bill of Rights.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Like I say, if you are not breaking the law...you have nothing to worry about. I, personally, am not calling any terrorists, let alone anybody outside of my country...so I have nothing to worry about. ANNNNND, if someone tells you it is already retroactive, so they CAN spy and give notice after the fact....that ONLY applies in emergency situations...so if Bin Laden calls and it is not an emergency, like an imminent threat, we had to hang up without this spying deal.

BTW, ANWR drilling did pass the house last night. It was part of the defense budget bill so it got pushed through. Still has to go through the senate.

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

See pooping at work.

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

....your eyes give you away. TP & tHBs. The crooked pols believe themselves so that it doesn't show.

16. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

So what will the senate do now since they cannot reject the defense budget for political reasons along with the House already having left for the holidays? It seems a filibuster would intrude on the Senators vacation plans as long as the Republicans force them to do a real filibuster this time and hold the floor 24/7. After all these years will the Alaskans finally get the right to drill in the wastelands?