Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square doors not tube doors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 24, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

im thinking on making some square doors not the regular tube doors,i dont have access to a tubing bender,so square material would be best for me,becuse its free for me,and can be found for next to nothing,so where shall I start,measurements? pics? does anyone have any input to this idea that would help me.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Resurection Joe makes and sells square tubing doors. FYI /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

are you doing these for fun or profit, meaning are you going to make some to sell?

4. MUD JUNKIE

im making these for myself,I dont plan on making it a business /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

in that case be sure to take plenty of pics. If you can, write down the measurements you come up with in case someone wants to "borrow" your idea /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Basicly Justin if I were building a set for mine Id start at the hinges and fly by the seat of my pants till I reached the latch. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. MUD JUNKIE

I figure I can get two pieces of box tubing for the framethen two or three sections for in the middle,get some hinges from the junk yard(so I can put my doors back on)and weld or bolt the hinges to the frame,now the latch is what Im stumped on /forums/images/icons/confused.gif im trying to think what I could use for a latch,maybe a jeep latch from soft doors?I'll figure somthing out.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

As butch as it may sound....look into gate latches. Ya know the ones that lock around a post, like you see on a lot of pool gates.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've sold one set of tube doors, and after my small experience in the competitive world of tube doors, I resign going after sales, if you want a set or soemthing else made yell at me, otherwise I'm not doing it, too much stress.

Anyway, anywone who wants my plans can just Email or PM me. If anyone asks about them after you built them, say I invented them... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Required items for establishing measurements for making your doors
    1) Six pack of favorite beer
    2) 2-3 hours of total dedication to angle finding and measuring
    3) A level
    4) An angle finder
    5) A tape measure
    Now that the bullshit is over with.

Get your truck level in both directions using jack stands or by adjusting the air pressure in your tires. I dont know if you want them to go low enough to keep stuff inside your truck or not. If you do the you will need to measure the flat surface of your rocker panel and use your angle finder to check the angle of the sloped part of the rocker. Realize the rear of the door opening angles twice before achieving 90 degrees to the rocker. Measure the width at the top of your planned door taking into account that the firewall side angles back so square tube will hit the inside prior to closing completely. Completely build your door to fit the hole then set it on some 1/4" shims for clearance and then mount your hinges. As for the latch you have a few options. Either make something work with your striker, or go to a tractor trailer supply and look around. You will be amazed at the selection of latching mechanisms.
    Good Luck.
    Tim

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I'm with you Joe!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    Here are some pics of mine with a cool $6 latch. Feel free to copy them out of square tube or what ever. These are no longer for sale by the way!!
    Tubedoors

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Damn that's a cool lookin K5 in the top pic!