Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79mudder, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 79mudder

79mudder Registered Member

i want to make the rear drive shaft did a lot of searching but cant find pictures i want to see how they welded the ujoint ends to them so they will be strong enough . anyone got pictures .

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

You can kind of see my rear shaft here...
    [​IMG]

Heres the front you can see a little better.
    [​IMG]

Basically the 2" tube will fit inside most yokes then just weld up the seam.
    For the 2 1/2" side you can grind the corners down a little so it slips inside the yoke then weld it up just like the other one.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cut the original shaft, grind everything down so it'll fit inside the tube, grind a bevel into everything so you can make a couple of passes with the welder, weld.

If you search for threads I've started there's one entitled "flame my shaft" that has some pictures, I don't remember how detailed they are though.

Damnit 85...that Stak makes me moist.

4. 85mudblazin

Heres another where you can kind of see the rear shaft
    [​IMG]

5. 79mudder

79mudder Registered Member

thanks for the quick replys im going to check them out.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

you get that alot don't you!:haha:

8. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Does a square drive shaft need to be balanced or is there any kind of vibrations? Obviously welding the ends on straight would effect how much vibrations there is. I'm interested in saving some money when I do my lift by making my own driveshafts. My motor is no power house, but do they handle torque pretty good?

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

They handle torque well but are pretty much out of the question for anything that is driven on the street. There is no real way of balancing a square shaft.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The lowdown on square shafts...

Basically, there's no way they can be balanced to the point that they won't vibrate. I've never tried, but know a guy who has, there's too much slop and well...it's a square...

They will handle torque very well from a breakage standpoint. However, the more pressure on the "splines" the more a shaft wants to bind. This becomes a problem with a square shaft because there are only 4 points of contact. Basically, if you're on the throttle and come down on the front end, the shaft can bind and rip the t-case off of the transmission.

My opinion...square shafts are for trail rigs only and there had better be a brace on the side of the t-case so that it doesn't try and rip your drivetrain apart. I know a few guys that run them successfully but have heard of more than one guy breaking a TH400 case as well.

11. 85mudblazin

Its all about how there built. My rear one doesnt vibe until about 50mph which is just fine for me sicne its a trail rig. Now the front the guy I got it from ground out ALOT of the metal which makes it super loose and it clankes around alot. So much over 20mph with it and your loosing teeth. I am going to re-make the 2" side when I get a chance.

As for the strength of them you just have to be very careful to only grind that is need for it to slip smooth. Use some primer on the shaft to see any little spot that is rubbing. Also put a radius on the edges of the 2" tube, this will prevent and binding.

I have jumped my truck 5' in the air and land full throttle on a ledge and the shafts just laughed at it.
    Its SOO nice when someone sayd "Hey your on your shaft" and you just mash the skinny:D

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I made mine out of 2" regular square and 2.5" receiver tube from Northern tool. No grinding needed to slip. Alil on the loose side but not by much.