Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square drive shafts-my experiance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ducttape114, Oct 26, 2003.

1. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

just before we left for blazer bash i slaped together a square front shaft shaft. i had a stock front shaft with destroyed splines i used your the yokes. the the steel cost about $25. after BB i noticed the front out put seal was leaking slightly. the fastest i ever drove with the hubs locked was maybe 10 mph. after i returned i made one trip to pismo and the seal was DONE. i probably went about 30 mph tops with the hubs locked. so i replaced it, went out to pismo last night and the brand new seal is wasted. if it is chewwing up seals this fast i have to imaging the pinion bearings and T-case bearings cant be real happy either. so after my square shaft experiance, this is my opinion: square shafts will be great for spares or very low speed crawling. other than that, no sir i dont like it.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And you know what? They work better when the yoke is welded on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    And you know what? They work better when the yoke is welded on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright.....just calm down there Mr. Waterpipe driveshaft.

...to my recollection, there were TWO trucks on their way to the welding shop that day. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, there were a few driveshaft issues that weekend.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

DUDE!!! Square is cool but rectangle would be the sh!t!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    DUDE!!! Square is cool but rectangle would be the sh!t!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretzel-shape is another common one... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a cork-screw style would be the best to help get over the big rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    just before we left for blazer bash i slaped together a square front shaft shaft. i had a stock front shaft with destroyed splines i used your the yokes. the the steel cost about $25. after BB i noticed the front out put seal was leaking slightly. the fastest i ever drove with the hubs locked was maybe 10 mph. after i returned i made one trip to pismo and the seal was DONE. i probably went about 30 mph tops with the hubs locked. so i replaced it, went out to pismo last night and the brand new seal is wasted. if it is chewwing up seals this fast i have to imaging the pinion bearings and T-case bearings cant be real happy either. so after my square shaft experiance, this is my opinion: square shafts will be great for spares or very low speed crawling. other than that, no sir i dont like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you didn't have anything in the square shaft for in/out movement. Did you just use a solid piece of square tubing with yokes welded on each end?

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It was a two piece shaft. Larger piece had one yoke, smaller piece had other yoke. They slid in and out of each other.

10. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Gotcha,

I was hoping thats the way it was /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Pretzel-shape is another common one... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like the unicorn horns like the one I made out of Rene's shaft on Pritchet.

Seriously though, my square shafts have not been in long, but already they have taken a beating and I have no noticeable vibrations running in 4WD up to about 35-40 mph. I'm very happy with mine. <shrug>

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Guess it depends how precise you make em. Could you get them balanced?

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All hail the unicorn shaft.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

After watching Russ's shafts rearrange rock pile after rock pile without more than a scratch on the bling bling primer I figure I will eventually build at least one square shaft to keep on board as a trail spare.

Rene

14. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Seriously though, my square shafts have not been in long, but already they have taken a beating and I have no noticeable vibrations running in 4WD up to about 35-40 mph. I'm very happy with mine. <shrug>

[/ QUOTE ]

i looked at yours and they deffinetly looked better built than mine. maybe mine is WAY un-balenced. either way, after two out put seals in two weeks, i think its time for a real shaft.

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have one tied to my cage as a spare, will work on either front or back, maybe I will not have to use it because I carry it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif