Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square driveline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryaninc, May 1, 2007.

1. ryaninc

ryaninc Registered Member

Ok so I want to make a square driveline, I know the pros and cons. any of you made one? If so How? two pieces of square tube that fit inside oneanother 1/8 or 3/16 wall? do you weld to orig. tube or just to the yokes? any tips or hints would be helpful.

Im trying to do this by Fri so I can wheel on Sat.

Thanks Ryan

2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

2.5" x .25" WALL AND 2" X .188" WALL. depending on what front shaft you have' you can grind it down to fit inside the square tube. it'll help hold it betetr and keep it lined up. search around, there is lots of info.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

One friend of mine had the yokes turned down to retain their circle shape until they fir inside the square- That ensured the yokes remained centered inside the square.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I use 2" .250 for the big tube and then 1.5 , .188 wall for the small tube. I prefer to not used seamless tubing as it is substantially more expensive. You may have to spend some time with a grinder to get the shafts to slide but it works way better ( I have done both) As far as the yokes go all I have ever done is cut em off and eyeball them on. It helps to have more than one person around though.