Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Square driveshaft folks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 11, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

where did you get your supplies to make your shaft? And what all did you use? Need a new front shaft so might as well go square front I guess.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I went to the local metal yard and asked for 2" and 2.5" reciever tube. I got 2' of each and after everything is said and done I'v got $20 into the front shaft. I also had to trim off 3" off each piece once I got the CV mounted.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You don't really need 2" receiver tube, HREW will be fine. 2.5" should be reciever tube or DOM though. Otherwise the welded seam could be problematic. I would run the 2.5" on the tcase side and the 2" on the axleside. Then drill the tube and add some grease zerks.

Harley

Harley

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I was planning on drilling, tapping, and adding some zerks and samething puting the larger tube up.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, as above. Got my weld on 1410 yokes from Jess.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what about running the tubes the other way. big up frotn and small up top? thats the way mine fit the stock cv and yoke best. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It will hold water, mud, and dirt that way. Also puts the more massive side down at the swinging end so vibrations and inertial effects would be greater. Not a huge deal, but still worth considering. The first is reason enough to run top side up. There are enough drawbacks to square as it is, but get a bunch of water and dirt in there and you would really have some problems...

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I don't plan on running this shaft for fulltime. It'll only be in when wheeling and I plan to get one made once I get everything else finished and store this as a trail spare.

I also planned on greasing the pig up and using a shock boot on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif