Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Square Driveshaft.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, May 14, 2004.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Hello all. I've been a long time reader & finally decided to post.

This past weekend I blew the front shaft on my 77 K10. I know some people that run square shafts on their Jeeps. Anyone run them on their full size? Pics would be great too. Thanks!

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack but...
    I am also interested in the applications of the square tube d.s.
    Are they used on DD.type trucks or are they just limited to off road only slower moving rigs?
    Can anyone fill me in on the limits of their use?
    Thanks for info in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

From what I've been told so far, they're fine up to about 30 mph. But you probably shouldn't be going much faster than that in 4wd anyway. Unless I see some variation here, that limits it to front shafts pretty much. As long as your front shaft doesn't turn all the time.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

BadDog runs square front and rear shafts and they both have enough 'slip/overlap' that they can be used in front or rear on his Truggy. Maybe he'll see this thread and give you the spec's on what tube he used etc etc.

Rene

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The next time I blow my front to pieces, I might do this. Looks like a good way to get a cheap bullet proof shaft if you are not running a lot of lift.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know a few who have run them in thier toyotas.. getting up to about 50 before the mean vibes take over.

I have my front half done for my wagon. I used reciever tubeing. .25 wall 2" and 2.5".

I have also heard that putting some tranny fluid in it will help it balance if it is a concern to you. mine will never see over 50 and if only on road, i'm pulling the front shaft.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Rene is correct. I run them front and rear and I love them. Wouldn't run them on a street truck, but off road, they are the stuff. I used 2.5 x 0.250 square for the outer. It's actually just under 0.250 (around 0.220-0.230) with a swedged out weld seam so the 2 x 0.250 can slide inside. Local steel yard (only 1 out of many carries it) refers to the stuff as "square DOM" but it's not DOM.

With enough overlap, there is very little slop. More overlap reduces the angular variation from one side of the "slop" to the other and reduces vibrations. I've had mine over 45 mph with no issues. In addition to the tubes, I got new weld in yokes from Jess at High Angle. These were notched/ground for a mechanical fit on the square tube, then fully welded in place. Once welded in, the weld area was ground smooth to eliminate any larger mass differences that would contribute to vibration.

Over all I am VERY pleased. No more candy canes for me. In fact, I've landed on them and augured right on through with no damage to the drive lines...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact, I've landed on them and augured right on through with no damage to the drive lines...

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to what I did to my round driveshaft on Pritchett...

Rene

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    In fact, I've landed on them and augured right on through with no damage to the drive lines...

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to what I did to my round driveshaft on Pritchett...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

what did you do to your round one? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. BadDog

I was spotting for him and not watching it close enough. I thought he was well clear under there. But best we can figure, when he bumped up on a ledge and didn't make it, then dropped down for another go, he dented his drive shaft tube. Or maybe it was dented earlier? Not sure, but I should have been watching closer, then I would have known. Anyway, when he goosed it for another harder bump, the diesel torque in low range turned it into a very nice rendition of a unicorn horn.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow did he have a spare? Or was he able to still drive out with only 2wd?

12. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. BadDog if you couls maybe snap a couple of pics of your shafts for me, I'd appreciate it. This is for a street driven truck, but right now it's front shaft only. So it's not turning when on the street.

13. BadDog

He had just gotten it together in time for Moab and didn't have time to get stuff like that. But luckily, he had one of the most killer shafts I've ever seen built by a friend of Stephen's in Moab. Anyway, we nursed him out in FWD, and my front locker blown so I had RWD only. Made for some interesting "lines".

Here are a few pics of mine showing the yokes before welding and after...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

wow that would have been interesting!