Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Square driveshafts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, May 11, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I lifted my truck about 6" and moved the front axle 1.5" forward and the front shaft is too short. I've decided to make a square front shaft out of the components of my old shaft. This will allow me to run 52's or 56's for cheap in the d-shaft department.

My plan is to use the old CV and yoke, with a 2" square tube inside a 2.5" square tube, with the larger tube being on the CV side. If I can find DOM for both that'd be great, but I'm pretty sure HREW will do with a little modification. I'll drill and tap the big tube in a couple of locations for grease zerks.

Are there any glaring flaws with this? I'm probably gonna go to a 52" or 56" setup in front in the next year or two so a high $$$ driveshaft isn't worth it right now. Opinions and experiences are welcome.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

repost of a question. do a search with in the last 3-4 weeks all there buddy.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Some poeple say they bind and all of that, but just about every person in our local wheelin club (10+) are running them and wheel the piss out of there rigs and nothing has happened. They are super strong and you can slam them on a rock without them budging.
    Just make sure that the two tubes slide very easy with eachother and you wont have problems. You need to grind the groove in the inside tube to rid along the inside weld so make sure that is done good and use lots of grease when you put them together.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did numerous searches, came up with plenty of info but just wanting to make sure I'm not making any big mistakes before I cut up a driveshaft.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

ow and make sure that you get 2 1/2" 1/4" for the big tube and 2" 3/16 for the inner, somethiing about the inenr being 3/16" makes it just small enough to fit but if you got 1/4" for the inner it wont fit.

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I used reciever hitch tube so there is no bead and you don't have to grind. 2x2 1/4 wall has always fit for us????