Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Square O-Ring between my tranny and T-Case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Nov 3, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the square O-ring that goes in the adapter plate between my 700R4 and NP203. Leaking like a pig. I found the right size make your own o-ring stock but I have never had any luck making my own o-rings.

Anybody know where to get one of these foolish things?

-Chris

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not that big of a deal to make them. The secret I've found is to use a single edged razor blade and cut them as square as possible. One drop of superglue and hold the ends together until the glue sets up. Let cure for an hour or so and then use sandpaper to sand down the glue bubble.

Try a trans repair shop.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree its not too hard to make one from the "spool" of O-ring stock--one guy came into the parts store looking for a similar o-ring on a tranny tailshaft,none available from the dealer separately,so he picked through our boxes of assorted o-rings with no luck for several minites,I was about to suggest getting a used one from a boneyard,when another counterman suggested looking up an oil filter in the Wix catolog in the numerical listings,where they give you all the measurments like thread size,overall diameter,length,--and gasket dimensions!--I found a filter that had the exact square cut o-ring on it--he bought it,peeled the o-ring off,and threw the filter in our wastebasket,since it was one that he had no use for(wouldnt fit any of his vehicles)--it saved the day for him--maybe you shall be so lucky!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Diesel, you know of any trans repair shops in our area I could try?

The o-ring really doesn't look that bad. I almost thinking it wasn't sitting right and to use it again. A couple of the T-case bolts were a little loose so mabye it came loose, moved a bit and leaked like a stuck pig.

I don't know why I always have these foolish problems.

-Chris

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i got mine from the chevy dealer, it was like 2.50 or 3 bucks they had it in stock

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If it doesn't look that bad I'd cover it in a film of Hylomar and stick it back in there. And put some locktite on the bolts.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try Shifty Transmission in Middleboro--he's at the corner of Rt 28 and Wood St,next to cumberland farms(be warned the guy can be a grouch! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)or Turnpike Transmission in your town on Rt.18,near the collapsed sports dome.Maybe Chase Chevrolet or one of the other dealers like Robertsons in wareham might have one in stock--if not,you might be opening a lot of oil filter boxes--its not likely you'll find a parts store that lets the counterman spend more than 5 or 10 minites with a customer(and actually help them)when a 50 cent o-ring is the only sale...... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif