Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Square tube driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Oct 9, 2006.

1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

who is running a square tube driveshaft? I kinked my front shaft on my woods truck. How did you make yours. slip the square tube over the original, weld around the bottom and plug weld through the side? Pics would help if anyone has them.

Making it is not the problem. I am just looking for the easiest, quickest way. I can lathe the yokes off, but if there is a shortcut that works for other people I will take it.

I know it will not balance. the only speed this truck sees is MUD. otherwise 20 MPH is flyin in my truck.

2. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

i made my front driveshaft from square tubing...the easiest thing to do is to cut the shaft about 2-3 inches from the cv double cardon. then cut a cross in the shaft so you can beat it square. then slip the square tubing over that and weld it. this way all the rotational force is in the square "splines", if you will, and not the weld itself. you do not want ANY rotational force on the weld alone, it will not hold it. then for that bottom you cut the splines off the driveshaft (about 2-3 inches or more) and grind one side square. then you can slide the splines back into the bottom yoke and weld it. the other side of that (the square part) gets inserted into the square tubing and welded. sooo basically you cut off the round parts of your drivshaft and made then square, utilizing the double cardon, and the bottom yoke. i know it all seems kind of wierd because im ****ty at explaining but what your trying to do is butt up square tubing to the double cardon at the top. but you cant just weld it there, so you leave a little of the old round driveshaft and beat it square and slip the square tubing over that......and for the bottom, you cant just weld the other square tubing to the yoke, so you take the slip splines from the old top driveshaft and put them in the yoke and weld it there...then whatever is sticking out, you grind it square and put the other square tubing over that and weld it....now all the stress is on somekind of "spline" and not the weld itself....the hardest part is trying to figure out the length of the top and bottom square tubes....also trying to find square tubing that fits in another one well...you dont want it too loose....try to find square tubing that does NOT have ROUNDED corners....also remeber to line up the u joints when you are grinding and cutting to make your squre splines....you do not want the u-joints out of alignment....i hope all my rambling has made sense....i will try to get some pics for you :)

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow thats quite detailed I have done three so far just cut the yokes off and weld the tube to them. All three I have done are holding up just fine. I used 1.5" .25 wall and 2" .25 wall seamed tubing the extra weld seam makes em fit tighter. Sometimes you have to grind the inner to fit the weld seam but the tight fit keeps them from rattling.

4. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

i have 5, shafts made, i have driven mine up to 45 mph, there is a vibration, but didnt bother me at all when i looked at the money i saved

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

anybody else want to chime in? pics would help.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've made 3 for a customer. I used yokes that had enough meat to mill them square to fit the size of tubing he wanted to use. Ended up being a couple thou press fit.

7. TX_GLADIATOR

that is cool if you have the machine to do it, are you going to start to sell them on your site???????????????????????????

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Nope, not a chance. I wouldn't wish a square tube shaft on anybody. Just my opinion.

I've heard too many horror stories about the shaft binding in a compression situation and the tcase or transmission being damaged as a result.

Personally seen one happen. Turbo 400 trans broke at the rear of the case and basically fell apart.

9. TX_GLADIATOR

thats cool just asking, i have seen the same happen on the regular style....

IMO2....something is going to break no matter what you do, eventually