Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square tube shaft max rpm?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, May 5, 2006.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

i thought about building a front shaft out of square tube but im worried about it oscillating really bad at high rpms and messing up the pinion seal on the axle or something worse. My np205 spins the front shaft even in 2wd and I drive my truck to and from the trails. How fast have you guys drove on square tube shafts?

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Why won't round tubing work well enough for your application? Is it going to be some kind of custon show truck with a rectangular-tube theme?

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

cause its cheap:wink1: The front driveshaft spins in 2wd but not as fast as the rear, its not like power is sent to it, the gears juist move a lil. As for it osicllating, if built right its should be as smooth as a regular driveshaft.

4. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i had one in a toyota and i was doing freeway speeds with mine, no vibrations at all. if you get it set just right before you weld it. i suggest a grease zerk and fill that puppy up.