Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square tube VS Round tube

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, it has been covered before. I KNOW. but i have a few new questions.

i know square tube is not as strong as round tube. so if i go bigger in size by .25 inches, and thicker in wall, from .120 to .180ish then it would be just as strong? im thinking about 2 inch square tube. bent, not notched and welded for the hoops. al bends, no multi piece bars anywhere. mainly for looks.
    thanks
    Grant

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The heavier wall should do it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you talking about a roll bar? If so, have you ever seen a roll bar in a race car made out of square tube? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

yeah, a roll cage. no, i have never seen a race car with a square tube cage. but i have never seen a race car that the crew was not worried about weight as well.

i dont care if the final square cage would end up weighing 100lbs more than a round tube cage. they would have a big problem with that. im just wondering if it can be done and done safely just by beefing up the tube.
    Grant

5. Seventy4Blazer

are you saying just heavier wall would be fine?
    grant

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Can square tube be bent properly, i.e. not kinked?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They make die sets for square tube, although I'm not sure how tight a bend radius they'd have or how much the tube would deform.

A few years ago we built a primitive die set to compression bend square tube and the outside face of the tube was acceptable but the inside face was pretty badly deformed. Rotary draw would do a cleaner job though.

Our forklift, and most forklifts I've ever seen, use a square tube rollcage...and it weighs a damn sight more than my K5 does. It's also built to prevent injury in a flop (as opposed to a high speed roll) which is more or less what we're trying to achieve.

Wall thickness is around .200" or more though.

Rene

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Round tube isn't generically stronger than square tube. Square tube is best when the load directions are ALWAYS parallel to two of it's surfaces and not off-axis or torsional.

The problem with a roll cage is that the load directions are random. Round tube is better for this application than square tube. Don't use square tube for a cage, framerails OK but not a cage.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Square is actually stronger than round, as long as the bends are OK, etc. With square you end up with 2 vertical legs as opposed to 2 curved legs on round. Where you lose is efficiency, round is more efficient because it's lighter, easier to bend and reacts the same in all directions.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Stephen and ntsqd beat me to it. What they said... Depends on the application. Square tube is MUCH weaker when force is applied on the diagonal, much stronger when force is applied perpendicular to the walls.

11. Seventy4Blazer

it can be, but it has to be water formed then. the inside is pressurized and stuff. big mess. or hot drawn. as far as i know anyway.

the inside when bending square tube is almost always deforemd a lot more than one would like. my fix for this would be to plate the inside of the curve in.

i just would love the way it would look is all, so i guess i wont be doing it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifGrant