Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

square tubing for roll bar/cage?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, Apr 16, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is there any reason why I have not seen any roll bars/cages made out of square tubing? Maybe round tubing just looks better.

I'd like to make a stout cage...say with 2" X 2" X 1/4" square tubing. With my chop saw it is easy to make the cuts at various angles...much easier than notching round tubes to fit together.

2. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I'm sure that there are people that know better than I, but I think that it is because round tubing is stronger. it stresses equally across the whole tube. I think that square tubing collapses easier.

3. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

the reason that most run round is one it is easier to bend and form. With square to make a turn and go around something you have to cut and weld all the parts together. It looses strength every time you cut and weld. Thats why you see em as sliders. There strait. With round when you go around say your dash to the floor it is still one piece and will hold up to a roll. that is assuming that you haven't overbent or kinked the tube. There are alot of issues with it all. It lies in mostly that it is just plain safer to have one peice of tube thats bend a few times than alot of little pieces put together to do the same think. Been playing rock warrier for a while. just toyota style.

4. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

hey josh where ya at in utah?

5. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I'm in taylorsville... west side of salt lake

6. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

because round is just easier to fab with a bender. Square distorts with a bender or compresses on one side. Like said earlier, it's a pita to cut and weld every radius, capping and such. That said, if you're a competent welder, there's no reason that such a cage will be any less strong. Look at bulldozers and construction equipment. See any round tubing there?

Btw, 2x2x.25 square is quite a bit heavier than 2" x .120 round obviously, but I'm sure you've thought of that.

Here's a pic of a square exocage on a toy.\
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=48096>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=48096</a>

8. tp85

Yeah, I certainly would not plan to bend any square tubing.

I figured that a quality weld at square tubing joints would not be much (or at all) weaker than bent round tubing. I do plan to use 3/16 or 1/4 thickness square tubing.

9. tp85

Given equal wall thickness, what is stronger...2" X 2" square tubing or 2" diameter round tubing?

10. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

I think there are different catigories of tube in square like round. Am I right? Like dom-hrew-bla-bla and bla style round tube. Can't think of all the names right now
    Thats a big variable

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In a .188"-.250" thickness you could prolly drop off the Lion's back without bending it...

A couple things come to mind. Firstly it would be brutally heavy. 2x2 HSS square tubing with .250 wall thickness weighs in at almost 7 lbs per lineal foot. For more perspective that means a simple hoop behind the front seats would weigh almost 90 lbs.

Next is that it is gonna be brutally ugly...never mind labor intensive.

Lastly it's not cheap unless you already have a bunch lying around. For the difference in cost between the 2x2 tube and some .100 wall HREW round tubing you could pay for most of a budget tubing bender...

Rene

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

TP85, I haven't seen any seamless square tube that's readily available, so I'd say that for impact resistance, seamless round tube would be stronger than the square stuff, given the same wall thickness. They'd be similar in strength in static compression or tension, and round would be stronger in torsion.

13. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I Have a square roll cage I bought from brian60's its veary stout and I will post a picture of it To night.
    Colin