Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squatty Radiator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Nov 14, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Does anyone have a radiator that is a lower profile than stock? I'm looking to lower the front section of my K5 when I do the tube front end, and the stock rad is holding me back. Help!

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Try this site, http://griffinrad.com/

They make tons of aluminum radiators for street rods, nascar, etc. Some of the catagories show physical size and some don't so you'll have to hunt around the site a little.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

lay it back at an angle

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Red River salvage has lots of 'em.......go pick ya one out....or hey I know, mount it out back.....

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you go get one from red river be careful what you get bud, I"m faced with having to replace mine because it's too small, (2 row) just make sure it's gonna handle the pressue your gonna put on it wheelin..(if you ever decided to do something besides take pictures of it) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif j/k

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

bastid.

I'm thinking i might lean it back and put electric fans on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You do know there are (possibly, see below) 4 radiator formats right? I know there are 2 different heights. One goes almost to the top of the core support, the other is at least 2" shorter. They also come in wide or narrow. I have a tall narrow large tube 3 core (supposed to be better than a 4 core) in mine now, got it from Desert Dueler a while back. I also have a wide short 4 core that came with the 6.2 CUCV setup. I'm not sure if they make a short narrow, but, seems like one of my old trucks had a wide tall in it, but maybe not. It was a 454 75 K5 with a huge 4 core in it. PO did the swap, no idea where he got the radiator, all I can say for sure is that it was a wide, but can't say for sure if it was tall...

2" aint alot but, thought I would throw it out...

9. BadDog

Oh, and FWIW, when I get around to building my tube front cap, I'm going to an electric fan and laying my radiator back as far as possible with the bottom right on top of the front spring hangers. Then, I can cut my frame off right in front of that and have a 90* approach angle...

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you guys lay them back so far that the radiator filler is below the top of the motor, you may have to add a remote fill port. The fill port has to be at the highest point in the systm so that all the air can get out.

11. BadDog

Good point, thanks for the heads up. I had already thought of that but didn’t think to mention it. I don't think it would be a problem. By the time I move the bottom back a few inches, and add the fan on the back side, it won't be possible to lay it over enough to get it that low. Maybe with the short radiator and in the stock location it might be a problem, but I haven't looked at that...