Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeaking belt or pulley?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Apr 25, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I just got done changing my intake gasket, and I put the A/C compressor back in place on my 305. After I put the belt back on and tightened it down, I started it up and got a hideous squealing noise. My dad sprayed WD-40 on the belt and it went away temporarily, but we still can't figure out what's causing it. Could the belt be too tight, or the compressor be off crooked a bit? Would that cause this?

Also, I got the truck out to drive it, and noticed it idles lower than it did before i changed the gasket, but it sounds like it's idling at a more healthy speed than before. But it seems to me like the motor isn't idling fast enough to turn the power steering pump to let me have power steering.

Is it possible that my power steering pump is bad and that's what's causing the squeak and lack of power steering? Or do I need to just adjust my idle on my motor somehow?

Any suggestions or information would help greatly. Thank you very much.

2. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

how old is the belt i messed with mine for months and couldent keep it from squeling untill i replace the belt and wouldent wd40 make the belt slip more

and make sure the pulleys are aligned properly

colby

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

replace the belt, then while the belt is off its a good time to check the shaft on your water pump just check and see if it has alot of play, and spin your alternator,

sometimes the alt will squeel like a sob wheen its on its death bed

if your steering feels responsive and with the proper fluid level it does not whine or skip then id say its ok, if anything maybe disconect your non pressure line and run a quart or two of atf though it to flush it,

then there is the chance you over cranked the belt and the idle changed from the loss of slack you previously had since there is more load on it now?

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, I was out looking at my truck tightening bolts, and I noticed I forgot to attach the compressor brace that braces to the intake manifold. That could have possibly been my problem, but I haven't tested it yet, because I hit yet another, perhaps a bigger problem.

The fuel line that is attached to the right side of the throttle body if you're facing the front of the truck, has a stripped male connector. I can't get it in there tight enough to keep fuel from leaking, and now that I got it somewhat in there, I can't get it out at all.

This is where I get completely worried. What do I do?? Will I have to replace the entire fuel line all the way back? Any suggestions or information, please share. I'm a noob.

5. supersize75k5

dont play around with a fuel line..:(

[​IMG]

call up napa, and a couple others, a performance shop, etc and pay for a new line, my truck burned as the result of a fuel leak,

between 20-35.00 should be the complete cost,

post pics and please ask questions if you have any concerns,

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

prolly a pully, get a new fuel line, and for your power steering, Its prolly your IAC on its way out.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

AIR conditioning??

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Idler pully was the case for me..

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Yeah, watch that dang idler pulley....I have been through several of them myself....

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

So how hard really is it to change a fuel line? I'm scared to even attempt it.

Also, I think the source of the squeak was because I didn't have the compressor brace on. But I don't think that would effect the power steering like that. I checked the fluid and it's fine, but I'm not sure what else to check on.

Any tips/suggestions or complication ratings on how hard it is to change a fuel line?

Thanks.

11. supersize75k5

the fuel line will be just fittings,

one at the base of the hard line, near the pump, a 5/8. the other near the maninifold, dont let it scare you, alot about these trucks is basic wrenching, just make sure to note how you remove things and not to use alot of force when you tighten fittings such as a fuel line,

also if you have a line wrench, it will save you some headaches over time.

and pick up a hanes manual at your local auto parts, about 15 bucks but for someone just getting into wrenching or mechanical stuff its a good source of info,