Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeaking that increases w/ RPMs???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Feb 20, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, my truck is squeaking. It sounds just like a loose belt, but it isn't that. The squeaking increases w/ the RPMs when you are moving, when you put it in neutral and rev it, it doesn't squeak. I thought it was the brakes, pulled them off today, greased the back of the pads, that didn't fix it. It sounds like it is coming from the front axle. The wheel doesn't move any when you pull on it, so I think the bearings are ok. I'm starting to get mad at this thing, please help! Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it is not your speedometer. That is what mine does.
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

3. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Check your universal joints, you may have a dry one. It might not feel loose, but it still may be bad.

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Sounds familiar! Mine just did it this weekend. Found that the U-Joint at the rear yoke had one dry bearing cap (junk). Replaced it and stopped the squeak. Also you may want to repack the front bearings. Just cause its not loose, doesn't mean it couldn't use some grease. On that note, U may want to hit everything w/ a fitting!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

5. Mud Bath

Mud Bath Registered Member

Dawson check your u-joints. The stock ones dont have grease fittings. Thats why they went bad. You might as well change both of them on the rear shaft. Especially now that you have the lift. I changed one of mine and with in a month the other one went bad. The neddle bearings were completly gone! The ymust have turned to dust. Anoyying squeak aint it ?

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I can't completely explain why it wouldn't do it in neutral, but I would guess that it is the A.I.R. pump. They squeak like a belt squeak when they start to go bad. Just pull the belt off (I think it is a separate belt on your truck), and see if the squeak goes away. You can also usually tell by turning the pump by hand. I had the problem recently on my '88 pickup, and it is very hard to isolate the noise from inside the cab. If you do need a new pump, pay close attention to whether it is the metric version or not. There are two versions of the pump that look exactly alike, but one has metric taps, and one doesn't. I have had the parts store sell me the wrong version.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

UNIVERSALS ARE YOUR BEST BET. I'VE FOUND THAT ON MINE MORE THEN ONCE.