Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeaks, Squeals, Clunks and other problems!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnnyFresno, Jun 29, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Well I've had my 83 K5 for about 8 months now. Havent had any major problems until now. First off I not a mechanic but I do know the basics. I "think" one of my piston rings is going bad, from what I've been told it sounds like a ring. I get constant oil buildup on my #1 plug some white smoke from tailpipe at times.

Another problem is I am getting a rotating squeal from my front end, when I turn the wheel it gets worse, when I brake it goes away. Friend said is was my brake pads? Next thing I notice was a sort of clunking sound. like it's coming from underneath, trans or driveline, possible u-joints? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The Bleeps, Sweeps, and Creaps . God, I love Spaceballs. Anyways, it probably is the brakes. Drive around for a while and feel any suspect u-joints for excessive heat. They have needle bearings in there that go bad and fail meaning you'll have big time metal on metal contact.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That squeal coming from up front has got something to do with the Power Steering if it gets worse when you turn. Check the fluid level and the belt. It may also be that your wheel bearings need repacking. Good Luck

4. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Checked PS levels seem to be fine. I also thought it may be the wheel bearings, I look into it.

THanks for the info.

5. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Your oiled up plug could be the result of a bad (cracked) ring/s or sometimes something simpler. You probably have already checked this out but I would look for these things too.

Check out your intake manifold and make sure you have still got a good seal, oil can make its way from leaking rocker covers and gravity feed into your runners and foul the plug that way. Also dont overlook the valve seals.

If one of your rings has cracked it 'can' be caused by a changed in driving habits. Not always but it does happen.

Over time a lip develops at the top of the bore at the limit of piston/ring travel. As the piston reciprocates it wears into the bore leaving a small step at the top. When you rev harder than normal driving rpms (up to 4500), say at 6500, the piston/rod assembly will stretch (deform elastically) more at the limit of its travel (TDC) and encounter the step worn at lower revs. The result is cracked or sometimes shattered rings. Thats why if someone who wants an engine thats a thrasher shouldn't doodle around in it for a year or so then rev the crap out of it on a weekend mud run. Theres a good chance it will do some damage. So I vote for giving a stout engine a thrashing every weekend /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .

Anyway a quick compression test will indicate if anything is amiss in that cylinder.

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Grrr /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I spend good time finding these stupid sounds that are moderately amusing. They work for me and then fail all the sudden when I turn my back. Now it looks like I can never get things right.

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

DUDE check your wheel bearings.. mine locked up and i almost rolled on the freeway.. cost me nearly 300 bucks to fix.. had to replace spindles mine was so bad...

CHECK THEM!!!