Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeaky balancer---Need some guidance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 21, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im getting a squeak from the engine that sounds like a squeaky pulley... Im pretty sure its coming from the balancer (crank pulley). I also noticed that when it spins it wobbles a little. Any suggestions on how to address this? Can I simply pick up a new balancer from a parts store and bolt it on, or what?

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Anybody? I've noticed my balancer is kinda wobbly too and I don't wanna take any chances with it messin something up.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like it isn't on straight. There is a tool for installing those and it's NOT a hammer. Beating them on with a hammer will destroy the thrust bearings for the crank.
    THe tool threads into the end of the crank good and deep. then it has a nut that you carnk down to push the ballancer on. If you try to pull it in with the retaining bolt you can strip out the threads in the end of the crank because you don't have enough thread engagment. The squeak is probably the belts because the tenshion is shangine since the pully is wobbling.

4. K5thatShmobs

Ill try replacing the belt... if that doesnt take care of the squeak, is it possible that it could be some sort of bearing? Does the crank pulley have a bearing that is replaceable?

Thanks Grim for the response.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I imagine your 89 has a serpentine belt. There are idler pullys that put tension on the belt. When the bearings go out on these pullys thay make quite a bit of noise espically when cold.
    Check to make sure the harmonic balancer is on tight. There is a bolt in the middle of it. I think it should be torqued down to 70 ft lbs.

If it is your harmonic balancer that is wobling and not the belt pully. It may be going bad and need replaceing. You will need a harmonic balancer puller to get it off.
    As said before dont beat on it!
    Use a longer bolt or an installer tool to put it back on.

6. K5thatShmobs

Good call Grim--

Replaced the belt... no more squeaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif