Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeaky rattle in the front end??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Blazernga, May 19, 2001.

1. 85Blazernga

85Blazernga Registered Member

I just got back from the mountains where I did a little 'wheeling'. On the mountain road up, it was a bumpy gravel road. Driving down the road, I heard a rattle coming from the drivers side front. It sounded almost like it is coming from the wheel. I have auto hubs (I know, I am changing them out soon). Has anyone ever had this noise? I tried to 'shake' and pull everything underneath and nothing is loose. Any ideas?

GSB
    Forever #3!!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Has it affected driveability at all? Do you notice it in your steering wheel? It kinda sounds like a loose shock mount to me..................Worn out ball joints can sound a bit rattly or clunky, too.

Maybe a little more info could help narrow it down...........There's a million things it could be!!!!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. 85Blazernga

It drives and handles real good. I thought that the shock might be loose but I pulled on it and the tie rods. There was not anything that was loose. I am stumped. I am not sure if there is something that could cause this in the auto hubs.

GSB
    Forever #3!!

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How are the bushings on the leaf springs? If they get worn out enough, the leaf springs will get loose on the bolt, and make some strange noise.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

5. 85Blazernga

Everything seemed tight underneath. I haven't had a chance to jack up the front end and really check everything. I was really worried that it was something in the hub and the hub blow apart while coming home.

GSB
    Forever #3!!

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Does this sound increase when braking? Does it go away when in 4 HI? If so pull the hub out on that side cover the hole with duct tape go for a spin. Then convert the hubs to manual.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, I thought I had the same thing, a ringing rattle in the front left wheel over rough road, but I just found mine!!!

It was the U-bolts in the back, around the spring on the drivers side. I checked them after reading someone's post about them coming loose on thier truck, and sho' nuf', they were a couple turns loose (thank goodness my block never fell out). Cranked 'em down, and the rattle is gone, my clunk going into gear is gone (but I also greased the driveshaft yoke, so that could've fixed the clunk), and the truck feels A LOT tighter. I have a cracked leaf on the other side, though, I need to figure that one out...
    BTW, I sprayed both rear springs with silicone lube, and they're now a lot quieter.

Now that the litttle noises are gone, I can try to figure out the big ones!
    Check your U-bolts bro! I'm amazed at the difference!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

8. 85Blazernga

thanks for the help. I will check them out when I get back from my friends bachelor party.............If I ever come back. . LOL

GSB
    Forever #3!!

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Just check spring bolts, shock bolts, and other suspension parts for being loose or worn. If my blazer did'nt squeak and rattle I would figure something is wrong.[​IMG]