Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squealin' Brakes( I think)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 6, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Squealin\' Brakes( I think)

My brakes(I say brakes b/c it comes from that general area) squeak when I put on the brakes. It sounds like a real high pitched squeal, I can hear at low speed, but when I apply the brakes it quiets down. It drives me(and the neighbors) nuts. Is this the bearings or what? Also it sounds as if it comes mostly from the front but sometimes I will hear it in the rear. Thanks for your advice.

YEEE HAWWW[​IMG]

2. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

Re: Squealin\' Brakes( I think)

Well the quickest way to rule out the bearings is to place the back of your hand aginst the hub after a long drive, say 20 miles or so. If they are to hot to touch (ie you burn yourself) then you've probably spun a bearing. Keep in mind that they will be warm-hot, but not to were you couldn't keep your hand on them for a second or two.

But I'd say it's your brakes, it's usually caused by brake dust &/or mud. Take the wheels off & then remove the two allen bolts holding the calipers on. spray everything down with some quality brake cleaner. I've had descent luck with various types of stop-squeal that you apply to the backing plates of the pads as well. While your there check out your rotors for wear. This is assuming of course that your wear indicators arn't rubbing in which case replace the pads

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm

3. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

It could be your bearings but i would first check your rotors to see if they are warped or have large grooves in them.

4. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the brakes. Bearings won't last long once they start to go bad. When you look at your brakes there is a little tab that bends over from the back, when your brakes wear down this tab rubs the rotor telling you it's time for a brake job. You can bend these tabs out temporarily to get rid of the noise but the next noise you will hear (real soon after) is the rivets wearing grooves into your rotors. This isn't good b/c there is only so much they can turn off the rotors to make them smooth. And if you just put pads back on a grooved rotor your brakes won't last for sh*t. I run grooves in mine just b/c I get the lifetime warranty pads and It's just more drama to change the rotors or get them turned not to mention the added expense. Just bend these tabs out to make it not too embarassing then soon ( in a day or two) change the pads.

Wasn't me.............

5. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I have been through quite a few sets of brake pads myself, on the front. What I found last time was that the pads had little cracks in them. The guy at NAPA said it was due to heat. What's the best way to keep a set of brake pads from cracking or splitting possibly due to heat? Is it maybe because the calipers need replacing?

Chevy's RULE!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Don't run cheap pads on these beasts. I'm having good luck with the Rayspestos top of the line pads (gold I think). Got them at Pep Girls for like $35. I run them on both of my trucks and other than brake dust I am real happy with them. No noise.
    When you check the brakes make sure the pins are free and that the o ring on the inside lip of the calipers where the pins go through is in good shape and moves freely. There is a high temp grease available for lubricating these pins.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper