Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squealing when transmitting...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by jarheadk5, Apr 29, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, while driving thru Richmond on 95 a couple weeks ago I tried to tell a trucker he had a flat tire on his trailer before it fragged me or someone else. Keyed the CB, said my piece, then had the pleasure of hearing probably 20 truckers raging for the next 5 minutes about the moron with the squealing radio. Thankfully they weren't able to hear me ID my vehicle, 'cause they probably would've run me off the road; they were pretty spooled up. Anyhoo, I'm now wondering what the deal is. Antenna is a Wilson 500 mag-mount, it was in the middle of the roof. Radio is a Midland 77-162. Both are box-stock. Receiving is fine; I can hear who's got a noise-canceling mike and good setup vs. a ghetto setup. Would having the antenna tuned help this? How about "tweak & peak" of the radio? Is this even possible on this radio???

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The cause to a squealing radio is normally ground related or a bad wire in the microphone.

Tuning your antenna is always a good idea. Also coax can and will crap out on ya' over time. If it's been pinched in a door or the fiberglass top then you might need to replace the coax.

Any radio can be "peaked and tweaked" but how much good it will do depends on the radio.

I'd say check your antenna with a meter. If it is off the scale then it's probably time for new coax. If everything checks out ok then move on to checking the microphone and/or have a tech look at your radio.

Since everything is bone stock you shouldn't be having a problem internal to the radio but if all else fails it would be worth having it checked out.

Good luck finding the problem.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ant. cable looks good from the outside (no kinks/dents or breaks in insulation).

What kind of meter is used to check the antenna?

Is antenna tuning dependent on the radio, or does a tuned antenna stay tuned no matter what radio it's hooked up to? And does antenna placement matter for tuning? It's a mag-mount - I put it in the center of the roof for highway use, and on one of the rear corners of the hood for off-road use.

Funny thing is, it doesn't always do it. I talked to truckers a few different times throughout an 11hr drive, and didn't have any problems.

Speaking of truckers, what's the deal with some of those guys tilting their antennas about 45deg. forward? I first thought it was a clearance thing, but after looking at a few while sitting in traffic, that doesn't seem to be the answer.
    Thanks.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The meter you need is called an SWR meter. You can buy them from Radio Shack, several truck stops, or any one of the many cb shops etc online. You might even be able to borrow one from someone locally.... just ask around.

Normally if the antenna is tuned with one radio it will be good with any other radio also. They all have the same input/output resistance.

Location can affect the tuning. If you tune it with it on the roof then you should be good. It shouldn't be a problem on the rear corner.

If it doesn't always squeal on you then it's probably a microphone problem.

I'm not too sure why truckers tilt their antenna forward. They probably don't know either. I've heard some weird reasons from them. "clearance", "looks cool", "works better for up/down the road" etc..... If anything it hurts the performance since it is forcing the antenna to radiate more toward the ground and to the sky....both useless directions.