Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

squeek sorta noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Aug 8, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i have an 83 jimmy and it has a sorta squeek noise when you start off driving, you dont have to excellerate much to hear it. actualy you can be just kreeping and you can hear it. i dont think that it is the infamous clunk noise that many people refer to, becuase i dont think it really sounds like a clunk. it sounds almost identical to pulling our heavy off-shore boat, its kinda like a low pitched squeek, if that makes any sence. i dont think it is the u-joints because they are fairly new and i have tried moving them every whitch way with my hand and cant find any slack, but that might mean nothing at all.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Could be wheel bearings. Do you deep six your axles at all, in mud or backing your boat down the launch. All you have to do is lift the front end of your truck and see if you can get a shimmy or large movement on any one wheel. After that spin it, you will hear a grind/squeak, if the bearings are going or gone. Any of the two will give you a hint as to what it is.The rearend is just about the same to diagnose. Do the u-joints have any grease fittings? Might be good to check if there is any grease left in them. Only other thing is if your parking break is sticking. Thats my $.02. Hope it helps.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sounds like the exact noise I had when I roached one of my front axle U-joints. It was worse when I was turning so it was pretty easy to figure what had happened. I would check them all.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress