Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeek when rolling, but not when on brakes?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jun 9, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, ive noticed past few days that if im going slow (i guess so i can hear it over exhaust) I have a squeeky sound from my left front area. I figured it was wheel bearings, then today, slowly crawling through neighborhood to get a better idea, i notice it doesnt do it if i have my foot like resting on the brake pedal. Not enough pressure to stop the truck, just very light pressure. What gives?

Oh yeh, the slower i go the slower the squeek is, at 20 its squeeky squeeky squeeky whereas at 5 its squeeky.....................squeeky....................squeeky

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like your disc brake pads are about worn out. They have a small metal finger attached to one pad on each wheel that will drag against the rotor when the pad is getting near the end of its life. They behave just like you describe when they stop running. It's a feature that helps prevent ruining a brake rotor with a completely worn out brake pad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, what he said! I had the same exact symptoms, replaced the pads and all was well.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The pads aint worn out that was the first thing i looked at, the little metal finger has a fair distance between it and the rotor. Also if that was the case wouldnt the squeek be a constant squeal not a squeak?

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

It could be the silencer strip on the back of the pad is gone or bunched up. I had the same problem. So I pulled the bad strip out and put some sil-glide on the back instead. No problem since.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sil Glide is not made for the heat of braking systems so that won't last long. It says "brake parts" on the tube but it's only good to 400*. Disc brake quiet works better, as do a number of other products.

His problem sounds textbook for wear indicators though.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

I had the same problem and checked the brakes and like he said, not them. I found mine to be the yoke and universal joints bad. just an idea.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

mine doesn't squeek but it makes a ticking sound. mines the pads. they are loose in the caliper and are lifting up and falling down I guess its a warped rotor catching them and its has oblonged the holes in the pads /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm hoping to get them turned here soon. Mine are new pads also.

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    mine doesn't squeek but it makes a ticking sound. mines the pads. they are loose in the caliper and are lifting up and falling down I guess its a warped rotor catching them and its has oblonged the holes in the pads /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm hoping to get them turned here soon. Mine are new pads also.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found out alittgle trick to this problem, bend the tabs slightly on the pads to makew them fit tighter in the calipers. A friend at the parts house i used to work at told me about this when i returned my old ones for new ones and he noticed i didn't bend them down a bit. The pads will move when it's not done.

As far as the noise while driving and not on the brakes, replace the pads, i would say they are worn down to the wear indicators as well.