Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Squeeking driveline???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, May 28, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

I was driving the blazer on the highway today and it was having a really hard time going faster than 65mph. I thought maybe it was because my new 35" tires and my awesome 2.73 gears, but it's been able to do it before. When I got off of the highway, could hear a sqeeking/grinding sound. It mostly only does it when the throttle is applied. It doesn't happen when the brakes are applied (i just re-built the rear brakes about 1 1/2 years ago). It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from because I have to let the truck idle along by itself:eek1: . It almost sounds like it's coming from the rear driveshaft? The u-joints are pretty fresh though. I'm hoping that it's not the bearing for the pinion. Is that something that fails very often? It's not a really abrasive or loud squeeking but I can hear it from the cab. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

--Adam

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would block the wheels and let the tranny stay in nutral. then get under the rig and check for free play in the drive shaft/ ujoints/pinion/tcase output. you never know. also look for the joint caps spinning in the yokes.

3. nau81blazer

cool, i'll go check some of that stuff. Are you talking about blocking the front wheels and lifting the back up and letting it spin? I assume anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have some ideas? Thanks again guys.

--Adam

4. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

My rig does something kind of like that. At or above 65 mph it surges in and out of 4th gear. Like it doesn't have enough power to stay in 4th so on hills and against a strong wind it downshifts to keep up. What year, engine, and fi/carb are you running?

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

when you're on level ground and in neutral, is there any play in the diff yoke?

and golly you need some gears, do you get any axle wrap?

6. nau81blazer

I've got a tired 350 with a 670 truck avenger, and yes I definately need gears. Too bad I don't have the $$$$. I don't really get any axle wrap at all. I'm not sure about the play thing, i'll have to check. Thanks for the responses. Anyone else???

--Adam

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

That squeaking under load is more than likely a u joint beginning to fail. I have had the same issue a couple of times. I wasn't keeping up on the maintenence. Pull the u joint at the axle and check the needle bearings. At least one cap will most likely be dry.

John

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep i dont buy the cheep joints at all any more. and even stay away from greasable. buy premo and sealed non drilled cross. brute force and spicer is great in my book. also car quest gold is brute force. and last napa no longer sells name brand in there boxes. its all jap junk.

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

X's 2