Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

squeeky speedometer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rockink5, Feb 10, 2002.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

My 85 K5 has speedometer that squeeks so bad it sounds as if its going to come through the dash and hit me. how the heck can I get enough lube in it to stop it? Or maybe try a different kind? Used lithium grease last.

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

mine squeeked.. till it stopped working.. replace it... 22 bucks at napa...

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You might want to try this if your speed cable comes apart right in the engine comartment take it apart there and take some wet lube (tri-flow or wd-40)and shot some down the fitting to the speedo gears and then take a drill and attach it to the speedo cable and spin that sucker for a will and then do it again (you are just trying to get the lube to the speedo gears) just hold the cable up above the back of the speedo... If there is no place to separate the cable just take it off at the tranny and hold up that way.Hope this helps , Mine was easier because it had a fitting in the middle of the cable later mike

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

More than likely it is the cable. Graphite is the best to use in it. One small bolt on the back of the speedo, cable comes out, put a few drops of the grphite oil down the cable and presto, good for another billion miles.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Graphite is abrasive, and should not be used on locks or cables. Even if it comes out of the can wet, once the carrier evaporates or is carried off, you are left with a solid material, graphite.

White lithium grease will work perfectly fine for the speedo application.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. chevyracing

strange, I've used it for years and my manual on my Harley recommends it. An abrassive lubricant.....10-4

John

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"What are dry lubricants?
    Graphite is the crystalline form of carbon. Its lubricating action can be compared to a deck of cards. When pressure is applied to the top of the deck, the cards slide sideways against each other. Although its laminar structure gives graphite an excellent coefficient of friction (how easily it slides), it requires an adsorbed film of moisture (condensed on the surface) in order to lubricate effectively. If condensed vapors such as water or hydrocarbons are not present, graphite will not cling to the surface and, in fact, may act as an abrasive."

Well, since graphite starts out as a solid, suspended in some type of liquid, it only makes sense that once the liquid is gone, you are left with a powdery substance. If you like putting dust into your speedo cable and speedo head, be my guest.

BTW, most applications of graphite as a lube are metal to metal, a speedo cable is metal on plastic.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. chevyracing

I thought they were metal spiral type wire inside of a metal sheathe with a plastic coating. Anyway, I've used it it for almost 40 years and have had good luck with it. Guess I been doing it wrong.

John