Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SRW requires wider axle than DRW right ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 12, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was just thinking and realized soemthing, being that SRW wheels are backspaced the opposite way than DRW wheels, that would mean that SRW trucks have to have hubs out further away from leafpacks than a DRW truck, correct ?

because if- for instace- you have a dually axle truck- and with how the inside dually wheel and tire is really close to the leaf pack- if you go and put a SRW wheel and tire on then youll be screwed because there will be contact with the leaf pack before the SRW tire and wheel can sit on the dually hub, right ?

so this would have to mean that SRW axles are wider than DRW axles,

now what about DRW chassis -cab axles vs. DRW pickup axles ?

anyoen go a hub to hub measurement on a 77-87 DRW pickup axle ? i have a DRW chassi cab out here, 14 bolt FF 1976 C30

i want to know so i can have all this info so i can put it all togetehr and post it online in a group i own that ive started for for trucks technical info '67-87 for ppl to see and use.

thanks

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

not sure so some one correct or agree. dually rears are narrower than srw. drw (dually) frts are wider than srw frts. 1- ton trucks leaf springs are closer together than 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is right, far as I know /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Mounting a SRW wheel on a DRW axle will not cause the wheel to hit the springs, actually the opposite would be closer to being true (but I'm not sure). A DRW wheel would most likely hit the springs on a SRW application because (typically) an SRW axle is narrower than a DRW axle and the springs are mounted farther away from the frame on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck (boz42 is right, 1 ton springs are mounted closer to the frame).

SRW wheels are not backspaced opposite of DRW wheels, they simply have less backspacing.

DRW axles from a pick up have a wider track width than a SRW axle, unless the DRW is a cab&chassis which will have a very narrow rear axle (to avoid conflict with wrecker beds, tool bodies, etc). A DRW axle for a pick up is designed wider so that the inboard tire has the same basic track width as the front tire, the outer tire is the one in the "odd" position. On the second gen trucks, the pick ups will have a D70HD rear axle and a cab&hassis will have a narrow 14 bolt.

If I remember correctly the wms to wms measurements for a DRW front axle is approx 78" and a rear axle froma pick up is about 73", for comparison a SRW axle is about 67" wide. I've never seen the measurement for a cab&chassis 14 bolt axle.

I'm sure I've missed some details but I think you'll find this info to be a fair generalization between the 2 applications.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

boy this is one of the most complicated topics yet, other than transfercase and tranny adapters topic

phew,

say you need a DRW 14 bolt C&C wms to wms measurement do ya ?
    i could do that,or do you mean a different DRW application
    ?

also i dont know why i was thinking that DRW duallies inside mounted whel is opposite bckspacing from a SRW wheel, lol., my bad, SRW same but less backspacing yep, its the 1 ton 40" spring centers that make it a little more fun. eek.

thanks

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status