Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SS 102" whip

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by justwhatido, Jun 28, 2004.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

SS 102\" whip

Does anyone still run them?

Seems like just the thing for the rear bumpre of a 73 restoration. Where do you get one.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: SS 102\" whip

Some trail runs organized by 4WD clubs don't allow them on the trail because of the danger they pose to bystanders watching at major obstacles. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif When a rig starts bouncing around the end of the whip really starts flying around. Mine was mounted at the rear of the passenger side fender and would sometimes slap the hood as it gyrated. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I got mine at radioshack tied a short bunngie on the tip to hold it down when running the trails.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Best antenna for CB !!!!!! I plan on building a overhead rack and mounting a 102" Stainless Steel whip up there. Yeah, I know, I'll hit every tree and power line, but I'll tie it down in town.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Best antennna for CB !!!!!! I plan on building a overhead rack and mounting a 102" Stainless Steel whip up there. Yeah, I know, I'll hit every tree and power line, but I'll tie it down in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I have ran many antennas (Monkey Made, Predator 10K, Striker, etc...) and I like the 102" whip the best. They are cheap and can hit almost anything and never break.

As stated above, check where you will be wheelin' and be sure that they are allowed.

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Got mine at Radio Shack as well. had to ask them for it because they keep them in the back store room. Mine took a beating this past weekend on the trail but didn't fail once. Had to tie it down toward the end due to it whipping the whole truck and driving me crazy.

7. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

why not run the military mx6707 base and 2 piece fiberglass antenna? its tough, nice looking, and "fits" like on the CUCV's.

it doesnt "pop" around like a 102"

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    why not run the military mx6707 base and 2 piece fiberglass antenna? its tough, nice looking, and "fits" like on the CUCV's.

it doesnt "pop" around like a 102"

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on what it's freq range is. If your swr's are too high, you'll burn up your finals. I have yet too find a antenna that can preform as well as the 102".

9. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i agree, i gutted the base, ran a jumper to the antenna, then cut the antenna to 103". im at 1.1 to 1.3 swr. the height of my truck puts the antenna at 13'5" which law says the interstate must allow 13'6"

i like the way it looks