Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SS Brake Lines or ???? for Travel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Dec 3, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Finally got my Pro-Comp stainless brake lines taken back to 4WPH since they sent me the wrong ones. After reading Steve's posts about his being a little too short, I also decided that I might do something different to run these

Option #1: order SS brake lines for about a 12" lift and be done
    Option #2: make some sort of custom brake lines for the rig. I saw one truck with coiled air hose with the proper fittings on each end. It seems as if this would work as long as the hose sees no corrosion from brake fluid. But the coiled hoses were so sweet, they extend AND retract every time you flex out.

If I went with #2, I'd be hard pressed to use the square end with the banjo bolt. Why couldn't I just plumb the line directly into the caliper and why didn't GM design it like that in the first place?

As always, all opinions and help appreciated

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I took a little different approach. I went to napa and got some brake hoses for a mid 60's chevy land yatch, cant remember the type of car, but the part #'s are 36759 and 36760. They are about 5 inches longer than stock and I still used the drop down brackets that come with the lift kit so I have about seven additional inches of useable brake line. The bonus here is in the lines have a bracket mounted on the line in the middle. I attached a spring to this bracket and to my frame. The spring keeps the line away from my tires but still lets it extend when my wheel droops.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

That sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. Are the fittings the same as stock though and since I haven't seen this yet could you just zip tie the hose to the shock or not, like i've seen in illustraions of the SS Pro comp lines?

Mich89k5

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The fitting are the same as stock and I have yet to stretch them to full length and I droop enough to bind my front driveshaft. I would think that you could zip strip them to the shock, I just like the spring better.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That sounds ok, but probably still too short for my needs. I currently have 4" Tuff Country front springs and F250 towers with 9012 shocks. The procomp SS brake lines were for a 4-6" lift and Steve says even they're too short under max flex. They were pretty long but I forgot to measure the darn things before sending them back...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Mine are 6" longer than stock, and they were just perfect for the droop that I have NOW, but if I get any more flex I will have to get longer ones (I have to anyway with the D60). The spring method works great, I have seen it on Shawns K5, I have a tube zip tied to my shock that allows the line to freely slide up and down, kind of hard to describe without a picture. I like the stainless steel lines because they will not bow out with the long length due to being rubber if that makes sence at all, you can get custom lengths for 50 bucks at local speed shop.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff