Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SSR vs IROK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4x4runner, Sep 25, 2005.

1. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm looking at either a 37x12.50R15 SSR or a 36x13.50 or maybe a 37x12.50 Irok Radial. does anyone have experiences with either tire? My main concern is which will be better for highway driving. Tech at Interco said the Irok is the most aggressive Radial b/c of the lug spacing. and said the SSR is a better daily driver. is he right? thanks. FYI: putting it on a 15x10 rim.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I was concidering the same thing too. Well, IROKs have a very large lug spacing and a softer compound when compared to the SSR. This leads to increased tire wear. And it would be pretty noisy too.

I decided to get the SSRs because I didnt want to drop over a grand in rubber every year or two. I hear the IROK wont last much more than about 10k on the street. Since Im going to see a lot of dirt and pavement, im gonna go with the SSR.

Before I decided on the SSR, I was also concidering BFG Muds and Goodyear MTR. Since theyre all about the same price for 16" wheels, I chose the SSR because of the more aggressive pattern. Ill let everyone else know how I feel after I get them on and use them a little.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Im runnin 35x14.5 SSR's, its lookin like Ill get about 25k out of em, of course, I do tend to run em a little harder than needed.

4. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I have the 36x13.5 IROKS BIAS on 16x10 rims and i can take my blazer up to 85 with no vibes. scared to go faster in an suv tho, but they are so smooth.

But seems to wear fast

5. toy4x4runner

K20- How tall to those tires "actually" measure? Well seems like on here SSR's are on the good side of folks. for some reason depending on the board... "SSR's suck from what I heard". that's the reply i get.. i'm like.. i want first hand experiences. Not a friend who knew some people who robbed some people who knew some people that had SSR's ya know. I spoke with a Interco tech, he seemed very knowledable and honest. I told him I'm going radial.... and he lined them up from Aggressive to tame. Irok was the most aggressive Radial they make. He was saying and SSR, and TRXUS are on the tame(er) end of the radials. and the TSL radial is in the middle. but I'm glad to see everyone on here seems to be honest and give first hand experiences b/c that's supporting my thoughts and interco's tech rather than some random "they suck" posts. I'm gonna get the 37x12.50 SSR's.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have 37 SSR's, dont hardly drive on them, they have about 500 miles on them total, but drive good on the streets, if your looking for a street tire, i'd say SSR over irok, more rubber on the ground, therefor better contact IMO

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I bought some 36"x13.5x15 IROK bias for my project 85 4runner. They are closer to a 37" tire on 15"x10" wheels. I haven't got to drive it much but they do ride great.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im runnin 37x12.50x16 ssr's on 16x10's. only had them a couple months, so they really aren't showing wear yet.

they're quieter than the 35" bfg mts i used to have AND do better in the rain AND do better in the mud. id highly recommend them as a dual purpose tire. they're spendy though.

i will say that since my truck wont be a DD forever, i will be going more aggressive with my next set of tires.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

No experience with either tire. I have 36" TSL Radials they ride great on the pavement and offroad. But if you do plan on taking them offroad the sidewalls are real thin (2ply)

[​IMG]

SSR are (2ply)
    Irock Radial are (3ply)

The next set of tires I get are going to be 37" Irock radials. Same sidewall 3ply has the goodyear MT/R and the MT/R (from what I hear) do great on the trails and on pavement.

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Measurements were right on what interco advertises. Ive only had one scary point in the rain, but that was cause I had too much rear brake in the truck and looped it avoiding a wreck. Pucker factor was high, other than that one time, I love em.

11. toy4x4runner

I'm going with 37" MT/R's from GY. I found this review..
    http://4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/28358/
    Vert intresting. and the SSR came in #2, and the GY was #3. the BFG MT's were #5 I think... so for my I'll take the better price and better road manners and sacrafise a bit of mud-a-bility. So GY MT/R's it is!

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Thats a old review and the irok has come out since then. I have a feeling the irok would have given the ssr and maby even the bogger a run for its money

13. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

mtr's

I am very happy with mine although I'm going on up to 40's here in a few months.They have to be the quietest big tires I have ever had,they clean out well in the mud and they don't seem prone to sidewall punctures when aired down really far(6-8 psi).Don't have a single complaint-you can even order them through Sears at a great price.

14. toy4x4runner

sounds good. I'm gonna call all the local GY tire places and then Call all the sears, sams and Tire kingdumbs for a good price. I might wanna get these suckers sooner than I first thought... lol.

15. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The Iroks are the best tire I have seen yet. They are good in just about every terrian. Only down side is they wont be good on the street since the tread is pretty soft. but I have seen them go where other tires (TSL, bogger, MTR) just couldnt make it. Know most of these situations were on rocks but what little loose mud/rock/dirt that I have seen them, they hook up ALOT better then the others.
    They will be my next tire (in the 42" variety) as soon as I save up some more coin :D

16. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

I had a bad SSR experience. Two of them blew up in grand fashion on the highway at 70 mph within 300 miles of each other when I was driving from Seattle to San Jose. My wife and I were stranded for hours. The tires blew from the radials out on one, tearing up my inner fenderwell and lower quarter panel. The other one had the tread mostly separate and the long arm of rubber beat the crap out of my exhaust, ruined the bedside up to the cab and damaged the spring insolators on that side. Since then the boss banned me from running any Interco/Denman product as a primary use tire. Other than the bad experience I thought they worked great except in sand. They weren't bad in rain and had a pleasant humm down the road. I run a BFG AT now and am very happy, but want some bias IROK's for trail only. I'd go MT/R if you want a 37 on a 15" that'll go both ways if you need to depend on the vehicle for everyday duties.

17. toy4x4runner

Yeah I better go GY MT/R b/c I can't gamble that kind of stuff. It's my only vehicle and i drive it daily a lot.

18. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

toy4x4runner,I don't know what size you are gonna run(mine are on 17's)but, if you figure in shipping costs,Sears usually beats everyone and the "roadside hazard" protection plan is great.What they don't know won't hurt your wallet.
    I priced 40's there the other day and they were 420 each,which is about 20 more than national but at Sears you won't pay for shipping.

19. toy4x4runner

looking to run some 37x12.50R15's. put'm on my 15x10 Eagle Alloy rims.