Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ssr?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Chevy305, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok so I am basically in love with Chevy's SSR, more specifically the 2006 LS2 405hp 6speed T-56 model.

Anyone here own one or know someone that does, or have driven one/riden in one?

Also what are your opinions on the car?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

opinions, they sit to high stock. If they were lowered 2" I'd like them a lot more.

I didn't think they came with LS2s. Rather with all Aluminum 5.3Ls.

EDIT: looked, in 06 it was the LS2 or nothing, so your right. 400 HP rating with the 6 Speed. Probably actually makes 405, GM just wanted the Vette and Gto to be top dogs.

3. Chevy305

I've been looking into them and yeah I believe they switched to the LS2 in 2005 with the the '03 and '04 models only available with the LS1 and 4L60E, which isn't a bad combo but other improvements came for 2005 and '06 like a reinforced frame and more colors to choose from.

Also I agree they should be an inch or two lower. Also I think with a nice exhaust system and one of those bolt on roots style superchargers it would make a total kick ass hot rod!

4. Chevy305

Oh I forgot to add that I sat in one at an auto show last year and you know I just got an awsome feeling sitting in the driver's seat. Nice supportive leather seats classic style gauges. Also they are bigger in person that you'd think they are. They are based off of a heavily modified Trail Blazer chassis, I guess thats why they weigh so much. Also did I mention all metal body panels?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some of the years had the all Aluminum 5.3L option. No idea what years or anything, just know it came with the all aluminum 5.3L at some point.

6. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I dont like the front clip. Something about it rubs me wrong, but I like the rest of it. How much do they run used??

7. Chevy305

For the LS2 version going to have to pay $35K or more, but most I've seen are still in the upper $30s. Brand new they were around $40-42K depending on options.

I really think these cars will be a collector's item in the future. I expect them to hold their value pretty well too.

8. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My aunt bought one when they first came out and all I can say is it was a dog...iono but it just felt like for $40k I wanted a little more get up and go in it. That being said I agree cosmetically they are pretty cool and it was surprisingly comfortable...
    My only issue here is that for the same price you could get a cc 2500hd w/ the duramax that would have walked all over these original ssr's and would have done it with 5 people and all their stuff :) Unlike the ssr which is going to be two people and their stuff and thats it!

Just my $0.02 though. That being said if they have this new aluminum block 5.3 or LS1 that might be nice...

9. Chevy305

Sounds like she got the original version of the 03-04 with the LS1 and auto. Pushing only 300hp. The newer 400hp one is a hell of a lot better. I think I read in Motor Trend that it was 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. I think thats plenty of get up and go from a factory vehicle.

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah she had one when they first came out...

11. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

my boss has one with a 5.3 and an auto, NO legroom or footroom in the passenger side and little more on the drivers side, i drove it, i wasnt impressed... rides nice just not the fastest thing on the block, rather have ss trailblazer

12. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Man, for awhile we couldn't get those things out of the dealership no matter what the price was. That all changed with the 6.0L, all of a sudden people were actually considering owning one. I realized why after one test drive, night & day difference between the two:eek1:
    We've got a customer with a supercharged 5.3l that is pretty cool. It's crazy how the supercharger mounts backwards on the engine and has a seperate pulley drive system.