Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SSRs on a daily driver... gotta be better than my TSLs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Mar 1, 2003.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

when i first got my swampers, (TSL bias-ply) i loved them, now, i'm gettin tired of them. i drive about 20-30 mi a day to and from work and then where ever else i have to go added to that. they're gettin annoying. i want to be able to hold a conversation in my truck again. so i'm lookin at 37" SSRs, i would run 37" MTRs but they dont make em for a 16.5" rim. so i want to hear opinions from guys that drive on SSRs every day or close to it, on how well they act/behave on the street. they've gotta be better than my TSLs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I run 35x14.5 SSR'S on my 89 Blazer daily and I put about 60 miles per day on them. I think they have very good road manners for a big tire and they are definitely out wearing the bias plies I had before. They've been on the truck about 16 months and have lost about 30% of the tread life. I would get them again. You'll lose a little in offroad ability but they are still very good offroad tires and I've run mine as low as 10 lbs. and not had a problem. Hope this info helps! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Are the SSR's better than the Radials? I have heard from a friend who had them that they were horrible,and isnt the tread compound softer? If they are better I might consider getting a set. Thanks!

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Also , what about Ground Hawg radials?

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Big Tires and bad road manners equals a mans truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I like my SSR's, I wish I had bought bigger ones. But this gives me time to bullet proof my driveline. You won't be disappointed.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I run the 37" SSR. The tires IMHO, are a very good tire, I have had them over a year and put over 10K on them and they are wearing great, as long as you rotate 'em. The tread compound is the same on on TSL's so one is not softer than the other. They have a tendency to chunk on the center tread becasue of the siping. They handle great on the road and I've had the tires up to 85 and they aren't that bad at all. Actually my 33" Bridgestone Dueler MT's were louder.

The only bitch I have about them is that the outer lugs will crack. Now before I went rock crawling I only had 1. But afterwards I had numerous, I think this happened becasue I wasnot aired down enough for the rocks

Overall, I love the SSR's and i recommend them to them to anyone. Let's just say that if they made a 40x15r16 size I'd buy em /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have anymore questions or want pics, PM me and I'd be glad to help anyone out on these tires

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif except you adam! lol yeah i've never really heard enything bad about em before, and i love the way they look, now i just need to wait for my TSLs to wear out. that and money, $240 a piece ain't cheap.