Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SSR'S OR MT/R'S?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5DRAGER, Dec 13, 2001.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

SSR\'S OR MT/R\'S?

Was just wondering if anyone has had the ssr's and then went to goodyear mt/r's. I have had super swampers before and liked them, but have been hearing alot about the goodyears. These will be 35x12.5x15's on a truck that is a daily driver and trail truck, about 60- 40. Not many road miles since I live 6 blocks from work. Thanks for any pro's or con's.

2. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: SSR\'S OR MT/R\'S?

I have been running the ssr's for two years, and I love them. On the street they are quiet, they wear well, and off road they are great. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the mtr's, so I think either way you will get a great tire. Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I love my MTRs. I would run them over the SSRs since I have heard that the new SSRs blow out really easy. Just my opinion though.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 35 12.50 15 ssr's on my 90 k5 and I love them the offroad performance is great for what you pay I would stick with the ssr's.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

HEY!!!!!!!!!! I thought we all agreed not to bring that up!!!(the SSR tingy ..popy dealy)
    Some of us still have to wear out our SSRs [​IMG] plus that was just a certian batch.......
    MTR is a great tire too!!!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I must have missed the discussion on the SSR's bowing out. My friend has a set of 35x14.50's onhis K5 and he had one blow a chunk out of the sidewall sitting in the garage!!!! They were almost brand new too as he only had them mounted and road driven for a week! The chunk that blew out of the sidewall was large enough to fit a fist through the hole!

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

7. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Was the SSR blowout issue due to sidewall ply ratings. I see that they are offered in both 6 &amp; 10 ply tires depending upon size.

John

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

MTR's and SSR's are rated about the same. Can't comment on the side wall issues except that i heard there was one. In my research, MT/R's are a bit better on rock and SSR's are a bit better in mud. MT/R's seem to be the hot item right now tho

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Read all the reports/discussions I could find with interest because I have 5 new 37" SSR's in my garage waiting to go on my Blazer. From what I could tell; it seemed to be only the 6 ply 35" ones. The Extra Heavy Duty ones with 10ply did NOT seem to be involved.

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well Chris Geiger from Allpro Offroad I believe had a 37" blow out. I know he has ripped them off his toyota. I think a huge part of the blowout issue is airing the tires down and crawling. Sounds like from the guys on Pirate board that maybe the belts in the sidewals are breaking and then when they are aired back up and run at a high speed for a while (and heat up) they just pretty much come apart. I also have heard alot of complaints about the sidelugs falling off just with street driving.

I would go TSL radials or the MTR's. I really just wish the d@mn 37's were reasonably priced. [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

WRONG, Please stop it !

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

...or don't mix up "# of plys" with the "ply rating"
    Why and who decided we wern't going to talk about this. If we did decide that a lot of people must have missed that post because it keeps coming up.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys. I just wanted to pick everyones brain on the topic. I've used super swamper products on alot of my vehicles including some of my race trucks and they have always performed great. Just wanted to know what people thought about the mt/r's. As far as the sidewall issue thanks for the heads up but already knew about it. I have quite a few family and friends that wheel and a few of them had, had problems. As far as agreeing to not mention it I guess I missed that post, and if I had read it I would have ignored it . Cause when it comes to my money and most importantly my family and friends safety on the trail I hope everyone will bring it up. That keeps us safe and the company well aware that we know about faulty products. And hopefully they can remedy there problem and continue to make a quality product, Like I beleive they have.