Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ssr's or tsl radials?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Mar 4, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

ssr\'s or tsl radials?

what are the pros and cons of each, has anyone used both? id like to try the 37 12.5 16s, since theyre in a 16" wheel size. my choices are:
    ssr 37 12.5 16, or 35 14.5 16.5
    tsl radial 36 12.5 16, 36 14.5 16.5, or 38"
    any info is appreciated. tires will see about 60% on road

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: ssr\'s or tsl radials?

Hey Misfit, I would say go with the SSR's on a 16in wheel the 16.5's do not have a tall bead area so at low tire pres. your tire will pop off the bead easylly, also i've been told that the SSR's last realy well do to the rubber compound.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I am looking at getting a used (almost new) set of Boggers on 589s. Tire size is 35x14.5x16.5, rim size is 16.5x9.5. Does anyone see any issues with that? The rim sounds a little too narrow to me....

4. Highlander

Hey KRAZIE. Yes i do think that a 9.5 rim is a little narrow i would want at least a 12in wheel, also as i said above, i've been told more than once by tire guys that a 16.5 wheel will pop the bead at low tire press. do to the short bead area. good luck Eric.

5. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

As far as rim width, I have run several sets of 15inch wide tires on 10 rims and i like it! The sidewall bulges out from the rim protecting it. I never lost a bead or had any problems. Oh, yeah I ran 18psi on & off road! As far as the 16.5 rims go, I have owned several sets of 16.5's and also never lost a bead. I see were it could be a problem for rock crawlers, but were i live there is only dirt, mud, water, and more mud! I never air down off road. It really just depends on what you are going to do with the vehicle.

baldbandit

My site is still under construction!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com>http://www.baldbandit.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I read a post a long time ago that all Interco tires use the same rubber compound. The difference is only thread pattern and siping. Are the SSRs different?

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

The TSLs (stands for three stage lug) have a larger void area than the SSRs, although you have to look real close to tell. The TSLs (or TSL/SXs which I have and would recommend) will clear themselves of more mud faster due to the larger void area. The SSRs would be less noisy on the street. Regarding the tire compound, I have a set of 39.5X18 Boggers that wear out faster than my 38.5X14.5 TSL/SXs. The Boggers appear to have a softer compound that sticks to the dirt easier at the expense of a short life.

8. Highlander

Blazer79, If my memore is still working i read in some off road mag. that the SSR's were made with a differnt compound that had more rubber in it and was said to last longer, i've got a buddy thats running them and has said they are working out well for him, ie lasting longer. As for the 16.5 rims two more thing come to mined ( and mite not mean a damn thing at all ) 1 is there a price diff. on new tires with the 16.5? and i can't think of #2 oh well. I would like to see what air press. everyone airs down to when they go off road, i myself will go down to 10lbs some but not all the time it does depend on the trail.