Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SSR's vs. old radial swampers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Mar 6, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

SSR\'s vs. old radial swampers

I'll be buying tires for my Blazer in the next couple of months and I've narrowed it down to either the SSR's or the old style radial Super Swampers. Besides some siping and better sidewall, does the SSR have anything else to offer. I'd be saving quite a bit of cash to get the old ones. Any input would be great.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Re: SSR\'s vs. old radial swampers

The new ssr's have a closer together tread pattern for quieter operation on the road. Other than that, dont know any other differences.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

How about wear, Depdog? What's the verdict on how long they last? Does the SSR outlast the TSL Radial and by approx. how much?

Thanks
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

4. RADMAN

RADMAN Registered Member

I JUST PUT SSR'S ON AND I LOVE EM! HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE BALACING THEM. THEY ARE PRETTY LOUD AT 70MPH BUT RIDE LIKE A SOFT RADIAL MT TIRE. THEY LOOK GREAT. NEED TO FIND SOME MUD AROUND HERE. IT HAS'NT RAINED IN LUBBOCK,TX SINCE SANTA FLEW OVER AND WIZZED OUT HIS SLEIGH.

YOU'LL LOVE EM!

DAVID

TAKE HER TOP OFF, AND ROLL HER IN THE MUD!!!!
    89'JIMMY

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey Radman, you're from Lubbock? That's pretty cool. I just returned from three years out there and yearn to return. Living in Durant Oklahoma now finishing up school. Used to go to Amarillo to four wheel on the Canadian and then the old hometown standby, the pit on 98th and Q. And a little over by Scroggin Dickey. And the tuff truck races as Captain Insano, with my '83 Toyota and then '79 Blazer. Cool to see a hometown guy here. I gotta get back sometime soon, eye some of those waitresses at Caprock, hang out with the buds, and play in some good ol West Texas sand!!!

Canadian should be muddy, it always is...just watch for the quicksand, it's killer. I've seen a couple trucks abandoned cause of it...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress