Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SSR's VS TSL Radials

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Oct 9, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SSR\'s VS TSL Radials

Looking for
    1. Tire wear
    2. Off road performance
    3. on road handling
    4. Personal opinion thanks

Ohh yeah looking for 35-37 in a 12.50 if that makes a difference. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: SSR\'s VS TSL Radials

Been pretty happy with my 35" SSR's. I got them when they were pretty new back in '99, but I don't drive my truck much so can't tell you much mileage wise. At this rate I'll get another 4 years out of them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Seem to wear well.

If I had it to do over again since i don't drive my truck daily I'd probably go with TSL or maybe TSL radials. I had 15x35x15 TSL's before the SSR's and there is a big difference in handling and noise.

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I have TSL radials and.....................
    1. Tire wear

Wear good, probably a 30,000 mile tire

2. Off road performance

Work great, grab reasonably well and have strong sidewalls.

3. on road handling

Ride great on the road at the right pressure, kind of on the noisy side, but not obnoxious.

I think the Radial TSL is a great tire. I have them in the 36x12.5x16 and unfortunatly they seam to run narrow for a 12.5. If you get the 6ply the appear to be close to correct width. If they would fix the width problem, I would buy another set.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had 33x14.50 SSR's and they were great! I had 20,000 miles on them when I sold them and they weren't even half worn! they rode better than my old BFG's, great in bad weather, and hook in the mud pretty well for a radial tire with that tight of tread. I haven't had a set of TSL radials but have heard they are nice on the street but suck off road compared to the bias TSL. But like I said I haven't had a set before.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Radials and my budie has SSRs(not called SSRs anymore though). I love my radials, they wear great, havent gotten to wheel in them yet. There very quiet and I hear they last long, just keep rotating them. As for the SSRs, well there loud, wear bad, very soft, but the sidewall looks cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

my buddy runs 35X12.5 SSRs he has about 80,000miles on them and he still has about 15-20% left. Mostly highway miles too! They still throw clumps of mud the size of a softball and chew pretty good. I am absolutly amazed at the mileage hes got out of them especially for highway driving (50miles to work everyday for a few years).

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I ran 38" TSL radials for about 7000 miles and sold them with about 80% tread, so they should have lasted until about 25-30k before they were useless offroad. They rode nice and weren't very loud compared to a bias swamper. Can't say I ever had a problem with handling, but a truck on 38s isn't exactly a canyon carver anyways. My only problem with them is their weak sidewalls, they aren't nearly as strong as a bias sidewall. I put an 8" cut in the sidewall of one of them, didn't even notice it until the tire exploded in the parking lot a couple of days later. I've heard quite a few stories about radial sidewalls being cut.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Looking for
    1. Tire wear
    2. Off road performance
    3. on road handling

Ohh yeah looking for 35-37 in a 12.50 if that makes a difference. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Ground Hawgs

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    . As for the SSRs, well there loud, wear bad, very soft, but the sidewall looks cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    They aren't any softer than TSL radials, they are quiter and wear a lot longer than tsl R. I could have gotten 50-60K out of mine if I would have kept them, they were very quiet./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would like to hear of someone getting more miles out of the TSLR.

10. MTBLAZER89

Think I am leaning towards the SSR's. I was gonna go with MTR's but they are on backorder so who knows?

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt go with the TSL radials. Ive seen two different sets of tires on two different trucks that both had sidewalls coming apart. One of my friends had one blow apart on the freeway, yeah not good. I would go with either the SSR's or the MTR's. I also think Discount tire stocks the MTR's. Or at least mine does.

12. MTBLAZER89

Cool I will look into the MTR's some more if I can't find anyy then SSR's will work for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm most likely going with 37 MT/Rs. Maybe 36 or 38 TSLs but non radial. Yes a dana 44 and 38 TSLs I am crazy got a problem with that?

14. rjfguitar

Why would you want MTR's over SSR's? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sled Dog: d44 and 38's, big deal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes a dana 44 and 38 TSLs I am crazy got a problem with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's your time and frustration level, do whatcha want. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[quoteThey aren't any softer than TSL radials

[/ QUOTE ]

There quite a bit softer then radials.

17. rjfguitar

My boggers are softer than my old SSR's

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Speaking of sidewalls
    [​IMG]

This happened before trimming the fenders, d'oh! But it has been like this for about a year and a half, and I have made some fairly long trips on the freeway with it like that with no blow outs. It is pretty deep, though it is hard to see in the pic.

Oh, BTW, I ONLY got these tires because I was young and stupid and thought I was gonna drive my truck as a DD. Then reality set in and there were too many realibility problems with driving such a truck, just not practical /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

3. on road handling

Ride great on the road at the right pressure, kind of on the noisy side, but not obnoxious.

[/ QUOTE ]

What pressure do you run them for the street? Just curious. I have a set of 36-12.5-15s.

20. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I just installed a set of 15x38 TSL radial Super Swampers. No idea on mileage yet, on highway ride is nice, pretty quiet (had a set of 12.5x35 BFG Mud T/A's that were louder), and off road performance so far has been excellent! I don't have any lockers front or rear (yet), but I aired down and those lugs would grab!

Like Trcks4ME, I also managed to slice my sidewalls when I bottomed the front tires against the fenders (didn't think I had that much flex) so I'll have to keep my eye on that. So far though, I really like them! My friend has a set of 35" SSR's- he likes them on rocks, but not so much on trails.

Good luck!