Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!st generation steering brace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 1HIHUM, Dec 12, 2000.

1. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Is there such a creature? I'm trying to eliminate any flex or chance that I'll crack my frame. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 1st generation steering brace

Ya is there??
    On my 72 I have the plate on the inside of the frame and then a piece of square stock 2x2 I think running accross the front from frame rail to frame rail.
    1HIHUM what do you have up front on yours??

SW will be placing an order soon (Feb.) for a complete set of axels for my Dana44 so get ready[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't have a brace for the early K5, mostly due to lack of demand. I don't know if it's from fewer trucks, or if they're more durable, but we don't have many calls for them. We have tried the later model stuff and it doesn't work on the early chassis. Maybe we need to come out with a brace for the 67-72?

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

4. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

First, let me say thank you for taking the time to respond! Second, I'm not sure that I need it. I have a gooood amount of wander, especially on rough streets, but since I have an eight inch lift with the "recommened corrections", and 40" tires,I am not sure that frame flex is the culprit. I was curious though, since I haven't seen any braces for the first generation blazers.

[​IMG]

5. bushwacker

bushwacker Registered Member

Stephen, I sure could use a steering brace on my 72. Frame is cracked at box. Let us know when one is avail.

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Looks like there are alot of 1st gen. K5's out here that would like a brace. So how about it Stephen? When is it going to be out? LOL. My frame is still ok, but after I put my 35" tires on I would love to have a brace on the frame for preventive maint.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Couldn't you guys just find a local welder and have them cut a plate and weld it on there over lapping the cracked area, then drill, or have the holes pre-drilled to meet the steering box.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The nice thing about a bolt on brace is that it bolts on. And being inside the frame rail, it triangulates the area, rather than just making it thicker. This helps take the flex out of the crossmemer and frame right there so it's stiffer. I'm pretty sure the weld in repair kit works on the early trucks also, but it's still not the same as the bolt in brace.
    I'm not going to make any guarantees as to time frame for starting a kit, that usually gets us in trouble! We'll start taking a closer look at it though.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD