Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stacking oil filter accessories?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 5, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright I've been thinking about doing a couple things with my motor. Namely, adding an Oil Accumulator, remotely locating the oil filter, and maybe an oil cooler also. Two issues I see.

1) would this restrict flow too much? I have a high volume pump so that has to help but might it just be too much?

2)could all of these things be installed on a motor??? I mean as far as I know, each of them replaces the factory adapter that the oil filter screws onto. So can you only do one of these setups?

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, the oil doesn't actually flow through the accumulator of the one I planned on using.

I plan on using an oil cooler and an accumulator. You pretty much put a "Tee" on the low pressure side of the oil cooler for the accumulator as far as I know.

You wouldn't want to use an oil cooler that turned off oil through the cooler if it was cold outside if you mounted the remote filter boss below the oil cooler boss. Why do you want to relocate the filter? I probably would just run a heat sync on the filter if I was going to run a remote filter kit.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good idea on the heatsink. Project is likely back to an S10. With headers and a v8 in an S10 in the name of ease, a relocated filter is just a good idea in my book.

Thought about T-ing into the oil cooler or relocation kit. Don't know about on the low pressure side. Is there really a low pressure side though? Shouldn't pressure be the same throughout? An accumulator requires somewhat high pressure I thought. Initially you just put oil in and use shop air to pressurize but after the initial discharge you have to use the engine oil and pressure to repressurize it.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, to me, the "low pressure" side would be downstream of any obstacles like the oil filter.

I planned on using an Accumulator II which loads up and unloads based on oil pressure... there is no external application of air pressure. I don't want to spend the extra $100 on a more expensive accumulator because the motor isn't worth what the accumulator is. These ones have pressure switches and solenoids to control them.

I'd probably skip the oil cooler. If you wanted, you could run a finned hard line between the oil filter boss' soft line and the soft line on the remote oil filter. Kind of like what GM did for a power steering cooler on a lot of cars. Between that and a heat sync on the oil filter I don't think you'll need much more. I mean, just by moving the oil out of the motor (and thereby adding a lot of surface area) you'll be cooling it quite a bit.