Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stainless braided fuel lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1976Blazer76, Jan 3, 2007.

1. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

Is it ok to run stainless braided fuel lines from the gas tank to your fuel pump, then from fuel pump to carburator? The lines have a 9/16" Outside diameter. I'm running a holley high flow fuel pump. This should work just fine shouldn't it with the right fittings?

-Matt

2. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

There are two main types of steel braided lines - nitrile and teflon. Most likely your 9/16" OD line is 3/8" ID nitrile. My experience has been that the thin nitrile doesn't hold up very well to modern gasoline with it's large amounts of aromatics. The teflon line is normally used for brake applications (3/16" and 1/4" ID versions), but 3/8" is available and it is impervious to gasoline. If you want to use steel braided line, that is what you should use. Make sure the ends you use are designed for teflon steel braided line - these fittings are typically steel, not aluminum.

EDIT: I checked Aeroquip's site. Their standard steel-braided rubber hose isn't nitrile, but some other material that they claim is compatible with gasoline. I don't know - even nitrile is supposedly "compatible" with gasoline, but I have seen 'em get rotted out and leak. Personally, I would stick with teflon...