Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stainless Brake Lines Long Enough?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 19, 2002.

I have a set of Pro Comps stainless steel Brake lines in the front right now and I have a 4" lift but going to an 8" and wondering if they will be long enough. What do you think? If they arnt should I drop them or buy new ones? Thanks for you help. Later

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What size brake lines 4"? Remember steel braided brakelines dont stretch like stock ones do. If you dont have the 6-8" ones already then there is a very very good chance you are going to need some longer ones. If you dont get or dont have enough length all the weight will be pulling on them especially after you get crossover and then its only a matter of time before they brake. Dont run out and purchase any until after you put on your lift that way you will have a better visual of the slack you'll have. Now when and if you do go buy new ones go ahead and get the 12" so you dont have to worry about it anymore. No opinion here this is the facts......

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would say get them at least 11-12 inches longer. im running a 4" lift with 6" longer steel lines from superlift and maxed them out with flex still left in the springs. heres a pic
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.coloradok5.com/gallery/album36/aam>www.coloradok5.com/gallery/album36/aam</a>
    hope this helps

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yep I've got 4" lift with 12" brakelines.

4. Alright well thanks, looks like I'll have to get a set of 12" lines. Later

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Yep I've got 4" lift with 12" brake lines

<hr></blockquote>
    Me too. I had custom +12" lines made for he front, which (I hope) will eventually have enough flex to use at least part of that! The back is +15 if I recall correctly. Both are suspended from springs to keep them out of the way till pulled on.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have 4" of lift and 8" SS lines i can't even come close to running out of line.