Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stainless brake lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer0004, Dec 21, 2003.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

hey guys i am running stock lines, and was going to switch to stainless but this guy that works at a 4x4 shop was nocking them? saying they bubble, and make your truck pull from one side to the other? any one experience this?

im running 36" swampers so i need more stoping power!

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Some say the braded lines are suppose to prevent expansion of the line during breaking. I dont see anything wrong with rubber lines that are DOT approved. They run them on big trucks that require lots of stopping power. The braking power is based on the size of the rotors and calipers, not the brakelines. One thing you can try is switching to a good performance brakepad. I run the Performance Friction Carbon/Metallic Z-rated pads. They really work well and stop better when they're hot. The basic PF pads work well too. Thats about a $40 investement in pads but they work and cheaper than SSLines that wont help.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never had a problem with my Procomp stainless lines... with 35s or 39.5s. Assuming the brake line has no manufacturing defects, I would think the stainless braided line would be less likely to "bulge" under high pressure than a factory rubber line. Naturally though, manufactures sell cars with rubber ones and their butts are on the line (can you say billion $ law suit?!) so rubber ones are prolly fine also.

j

4. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

I'm running stainless brake lines on my 84 with 39's.i've never had a problem with them.i actually just bought a set for my 77( from skyjacker through summit )& i'm running 39.5's on it.The only problem I ever had with the rubber factory lines was the length.

5. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

your right manufacturs do sell them with rubber, but how many manufactures have you seen with 36" swampers, or larger, and lifted? my experience with atvs is they stop so much better compared to rubber lines.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

manufacturers are not running lines that are 2 feet long either. The longer the line, the more stress is put on it from braking. Rubber lines make up for this by using a thicker wall. Long rubber lines are about the thickness of a sharpie marker where in comparison my braided stainless pro comp lines are the thickness of a pencil.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive had to replace two of my stainless brake lines so far. one of them blew a hole right in the middle of the line, Almost rear ended someone that time, luckily i was just rolling forward at a stop light and not actually driving at speed. The second one was just last weekend, i was replacing the brake booster on my truck and when i went to test it out, my Girlfriend said "theres something coming out of your truck" i look under there and theres brake fluid spewing, It was leaking on the top, right where it presses into that fitting... the first set of lines were procomp, I replaced them with some lines that i got from "Oil filter service company"