Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stainless edelbrock headers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Apr 16, 2002.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

How many of you have the edelbrock tes headers for the tbi. they say its made of stainless, but mine are rusted to hell after only 4 months and less than a 1000 miles. model number 6858 with air tubes. anybody else have this problem. sure seems like i got ripped off with these things.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a set on my '91 S-Jimmy. They've been on there for 7 or 8 years. But mine didn't say they were made of stainless. The directions said that the "paint" they came with was just a protective coating to prevent rust during shipping. So I sandblasted them and painted them with header paint. They still look pretty decent 100K miles or so later. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think the only years Edelbrock makes stainless headers/TES for Blazers, are 92 and up.
    You can get stainless headers for the pickups and subs in eariler years. They cost about 100 bucks more than the steel ones.
    When I ordered mine from Summit the sales rep also said they were stainless. But they aren't because a magnet will stick to them. After I found this out I painted them with Hi- Temp black ceramic paint.
    But they are holding up well and havn't rusted after 2 years of hard use, towing, Ect

4. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

Be wary when buying anything that is made of 'stainless' there are many different grades of stainless, and many cheap grades. Try and stay away from anything thats made with 304 stainless..

Sucks about your headers tho.

Edit: Don't trust a magnet to identify stainless either.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Why stay away from 304? I thought that 409 stainless steel was the "just-barely-stainless" stuff. (But a magnet still won't stick to it). 304 is used by Borla to make their mufflers and exhaust systems.

Here's a blurb I borrowed from Borla's web site:

BORLA exhaust is built of aircraft-quality T-304 stainless steel -- stainless inside and out, not mild steel, not aluminum, not coated aluminum, not just wrapped with stainless on the outside for show. Coating techniques, such as aluminizing, can somewhat prolong the life of mild steel, but coatings suffer at the weld points. And, comparing aluminized steel to T-304 stainless steel is like comparing gold-plated metal to solid gold! T-304 stainless steel has the highest chromium content, making it the most resistant to corrosion and therefore the most desirable material for a long-lasting exhaust system. Note: Only the flanges are not stainless. In our twenty-year experience, we have found the 3/8"--1/2" flanges are so thick they will never affect the performance or longevity of the system.